Edison Recorder

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Phonotom
Victor II
Personal Text: phonograph collector

Edison Recorder

Post by Phonotom »

Hi, I was wondering if anyone on the forum could tell me if this recorder is complete or is it missing the cutter? I am not an Edison Collector and do not know much about these? Thanks, Tom
Attachments
recorder 2.jpg
recorder 1.jpg

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Edison Recorder

Post by phonogfp »

The bar is there, but I can't tell from the photo if the cutter is in the bar. A shot from the side (preferably in focus) would be better.

George P.

edisonclassm
Victor II

Post by edisonclassm »

The photo is pretty poor but it looks like the sapphire is either severely damaged or not there altogether

Chuck
Victor III
Personal Text: Richards Laboratories http://www.richardslaboratories.com producing high quality cylinder blanks

Post by Chuck »

Hmm. Hard to tell from this picture, but the cutter could well be there because I have seen these cutters in these automatic recorders as being notably short.

I purchased an automatic recorder from a forum member on here a few years ago for a very reasonable price.
When it arrived I went about testing it. It worked but the sound was very faint. Removed the stylus bar, held it in an alcohol flame, grabbed the stylus
and attempted to twist it but accidentally pulled it clear out instead. While it was out I noticed it is very short. Re-installed stylus in bar, rotated off the original axis.

That recorder now talks up nice and loud and crisp. Anyway, cutters on automatics can sometimes be very short.

Chuck
"Sustained success depends on searching
for, and gaining, fundamental understanding"

-Bell System Credo