Looking for replacement soundbox rubber gasket (or solutions) for 1939 RCA Victrola acoustic portable

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
RCA_victrolaboy
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Victrolas deserve their shine

Looking for replacement soundbox rubber gasket (or solutions) for 1939 RCA Victrola acoustic portable

Post by RCA_victrolaboy »

Greetings to all,

I have a 1939 RCA Victor Victrola that is in desperate need of a replacement rubber gasket that attaches the soundbox to the tonearm. The rubber isolator is a bit dried up and I have typically used hot glue in order to secure it on as I have been unable to find a replacement part - but have grown tired of needing to repeatedly fix this issue as it always falls off. The diameter of the actual isolator is approximately 7/8ths of an inch, whereas the actual metal part surrounding the gasket is approximately 1 inch. I've been looking for a replacement part or some sort of solution or chemical to "replenish" the rubber back to usable state. Is there a way to find a replacement gasket anywhere for this type of model?

On a side note, and my apologies for switching the topic, but I've also had some issues with stiffness in the tonearm pivot/yoke that holds the soundbox. The grease was dried up when I got it, and have since replaced it with white lithium grease but have only seen a marginal decrease in the stiffness of the whole ordeal. Is there any recommended oil that is typically used?

Thank you to all of the talking machine forum for any help - this resource has been so immensely helpful. Attached below are some photographs. :D
Attachments
picture5asdfafsd.jpg
picture6qir8ereiq.jpg
picture78318.jpg

AZ*
Victor IV

Re: Looking for replacement soundbox rubber gasket (or solutions) for 1939 RCA Victrola acoustic portable

Post by AZ* »

These machines were outsourced and many generic portables of the 1930s and 40s used the same parts and have similar issues. For the gasket, I simply used a piece of leather of suitable thickness and wrapped it around the tonearm and attached the soundbox to it. Rubber of the right thickness would work also.

As for the pivot issue, I had that problem also. The tonearm is made of pot metal which swells and binds over time. I took mine apart at the joint, and sanded it with emery cloth so that it moved freely. Then I greased it and reassembled it.

Good luck.
Best regards ... AZ*

kendphono
Victor II

Re: Looking for replacement soundbox rubber gasket (or solutions) for 1939 RCA Victrola acoustic portable

Post by kendphono »

The best solution is to go to the hardware store and buy a small piece of sheer rubber. They sell it in just about the same color and in different thicknesses. Dig out the rubber you have and cut a strip to fit your hole. Put the place where the ends come together where the screw is located. Make it a tight fit. Once it is in, pull the rubber to the center of the hole, just a little bit and pit in a drop of super glue. Do this in several spots. This will hold the rubber in place. The result will look just like the original.

Ken Danckaert

RCA_victrolaboy
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Victrolas deserve their shine

Post by RCA_victrolaboy »

Thank you so much - I'll report back to see how this goes. Genius ideas, never thought about putting it on the tonearm and the fact that the actual metal would be the problem with the pivot. :D