Need info on Brunswick "Stratford" disc storage

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Herderz
Victor II
Personal Text: Clockman

Need info on Brunswick "Stratford" disc storage

Post by Herderz »

My current project is restoring a Stratford console. I have been working on the machine for about 2 months now mainly on the cabinet woodwork. I have been trying to research the disc storage system which my machine is missing. Everything so far that I have found has not been for the Stratford model and consists of wooden drawers for various models. I am puzzled at this point wondering what my machine used. I have observed some witness marks from what I have but wonder if what I have found pertains to what I have found in my research. Here is what I have. The right side of storage consists of four slots for 10" disc's based on height of the slots and a back stop mounted to the floor of the cabinet, the left side supports 4 slots, 12" height but the back stop has 2 slots for 10" and 2 slots for 12". The only witness marks are small 1" wear marks on the front right hand side of each slot. No holes for mounting anything anywhere in the body.
1.jpg
11.jpg
Here are the research pics I have found. This ad shows wooden drawer but not my model.
19brunswickphono2.jpg
19brunswickphono2.jpg (37.65 KiB) Viewed 757 times
This pic shows what look like side rails that the drawer slides on but I have no witness marks on the mounting of such rails.
112.jpg
112.jpg (120.79 KiB) Viewed 757 times
This model shows wooden drawers but no detail on how they work.
113.jpg
113.jpg (43.43 KiB) Viewed 757 times
This model show what appears to be center rail system on the base but my machine does not have them.
114.jpeg
So I am lost at this point of knowing what my machine needs. With details I can make the wooden part of the drawers but the system that makes them work could be a problem. If this model had album storage that would be maybe hard to find also. So I am looking for advice on what it was to know how to proceed. Any info will be much appreciated

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Need info on Brunswick "Stratford" disc storage

Post by JerryVan »

There are no holes associated with the "wear marks" you speak of? Wondering if those marks were where "stop blocks" may have been glued, for the purpose of limiting drawer travel? However, just glue probably wouldn't have been enough to fix them in place for that purpose, therefore wondering if there are any small nail holes associated with those locations.

Herderz
Victor II

Post by Herderz »

Jerry, no holes anywhere, I have disassembled the whole console and am reassembling it now. they are wear marks from something sliding on the outside edge of the slots, not any glue marks from blocks.

Herderz
Victor II

Post by Herderz »

You can also see that the wear marks are different intensity based on each slot, probably from use of each slot.

Herderz
Victor II

Post by Herderz »

Also no wear marks on the underside of the top that would indicate a drawer cocking down at the end of the travel.

Herderz
Victor II

Post by Herderz »

Here is the front showing all of the slots on the stratford.
20220117_133516.jpg

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

I don't think they had drawers, just albums...
brunswick.jpg
Another "drawerless" Stratford...
(Ignore the retrofit electric speaker...)
DSCN0312 - smCopy.jpg
DSCN0312 - smCopy.jpg (111.5 KiB) Viewed 629 times

Herderz
Victor II

Post by Herderz »

Thanks Jerry for clearing that up for me. I could not find any pics in my research that showed the Stratford with the doors open to see what was inside. The albums will be a later addition if I decide to bring it more to original. I am getting ready to show the restoration of the machine, just finishing the last coats to the console.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

I'm sure it's splendid. Your restorations are always impressive!

phonolamplighter
Victor O
Personal Text: Say it With Music

Post by phonolamplighter »

We look forward to seeing the total restoration.
Our Stratford console also has the record albums.
If you haven't checked yet, there is a 'book' article on the APS website about Brunswick phonographs, by R. J. Wakeman. Full of great history and model information on the Brunswick.
Ed and Nancy