New felt--how to apply

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
jboger
Victor IV

New felt--how to apply

Post by jboger »

I recall reading here that someone uses a specific spray glue product to attach new felt to an old turntable. If someone could direct me to that thread or kindly tell me how he or she does it, I would greatly appreciate that. I don't want to re-invent the wheel especially if others know how to do this.

John

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: New felt--how to apply

Post by JerryVan »

Try using the Search feature.

Phonotom
Victor II
Personal Text: phonograph collector

Post by Phonotom »

3M spray adhesive. Spray it on the turntable and then apply your felt. Make sure you get the outside edges of the turntable sprayed good. Then when it is dry. (don't try to cut in a circle before gluing it Just leave it a little big) It don't take long. Just use a new razor blade and slightly pull on the felt while going around the circle with the razor blade to shape it in a round form. I have noticed that there are a couple of different types of felt. I go to Hobby Lobby theirs is a little stiffer therefore when you trim it after it dries it is much easier to cut to the round shape. The more plyable felt seems to fray when you cut it. Just my method. Tom

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

3M Super 77 Spray Contact Adhesive. Spray the turntable and the felt and let become tacky. After applying the felt to the turntable by lowering the turntable onto the felt, let dry, cut a small ‘X’ in the spindle hole. Trim the edge of the turntable with a good scissors. Install the turntable. Trim around the spindle with a razor knife.
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

Well, Jerry Van, what makes you think I didn't? Not everything turns up so readily.

And to those who so easily answered my question, thank you.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

jboger wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:52 pm Well, Jerry Van, what makes you think I didn't? Not everything turns up so readily.

And to those who so easily answered my question, thank you.
Hey, just trying to help. Since you recalled reading suggestions on the forum, I assumed that said information could easily be found through a search. Sorry that your search proved ineffective and that you totally misinterpreted my attempt to help you. I won't make that mistake again.

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

Jerry:

I over-reacted. My apologies. I appreciate your attempt to help.

John

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

jboger wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:19 am Jerry:

I over-reacted. My apologies. I appreciate your attempt to help.

John
No problem sir. We're all good :)

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

This is not a criticism, just an observation: the Search feature can be very problematic or confusing for occasional users such as myself. Just the other day I was searching for an old thread on a mahogany MS and thousands of hits came back. I suppose it is my ignorance of how to use it that is the problem, but I can’t be alone in this regard. I finally found the post I was looking for by adding the author’s name, and then it popped up.

Raphael

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Raphael wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:48 pm This is not a criticism, just an observation: the Search feature can be very problematic or confusing for occasional users such as myself. Just the other day I was searching for an old thread on a mahogany MS and thousands of hits came back. I suppose it is my ignorance of how to use it that is the problem, but I can’t be alone in this regard. I finally found the post I was looking for by adding the author’s name, and then it popped up.

Raphael
You are correct. A search for "mahogany MS" would only net results for "mahogany", for which there must be at least thousands, as you say. For reasons well beyond my ability to understand, the search function ignores words, (or in this case model numbers), of less that 3 or 4 characters. It also can't process things like "orthophonic 8-9". It will only return results for "orthophonic".
Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG (36.98 KiB) Viewed 681 times