New felt--how to apply

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Dischoard
Victor II
Personal Text: Born in the wrong century...

Re: New felt--how to apply

Post by Dischoard »

I have often found, for some unknown reason, the search feature of this forum to be sorely inadequate. In all honesty, if the search function were better, I think there would be many fewer conversations here ;)

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

You can also use Google to do a site-specific search. Syntax is like this:

site:[URL] [search terms]

For example:

site:forum.talkingmachine.info mahogany MS

or

site:forum.talkingmachine.info turntable glue

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

And here is the machine with new felt . . .

A job done for an acquaintance, along with two new mainsprings, and an overhaul of the motor and reproducer.

The early columbias are great machines.

Thanks for the help!

John
Attachments
IMG_2486.jpg

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

jboger wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:49 pm And here is the machine with new felt . . .

A job done for an acquaintance, along with two new mainsprings, and an overhaul of the motor and reproducer.

The early columbias are great machines.

Thanks for the help!

John
Very nice! I really like the color. Did you get the felt from one of the suppliers, or did you cut it out from felt you purchased elsewhere?

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

Jerry:

Don't remember where I got it. I've had it for several years.

I have an xacto knife set. I found I needed to bear down quite hard to cut the fabric. Fortunately the adhesive makes a tight bond so tearing the fabric was not an issue.

John

hbick2
Victor O

Post by hbick2 »

Just a hint. You can buy a wonderful handle that will take surgical blades, for little money. They are much larger than a traditional scalpel handle and made of plastic or hard rubber. I am attaching a picture below. They are very handy in the shop. Surgical blades are extremely sharp, but you can't put much pressure on them or they will break. Consequently, you need to use them for things like cutting turntable cloth, which requires little pressure. There are also a number of different sizes and shapes of surgical blades available. You can buy them on Amazon or through any surgical or dental supply house. One warning: you need to be careful attaching or removing the scalpel blades. They only fit on the tang one way and they lock in place. When putting a blade on, open the package slightly and get it started on the tang, making sure the angle at the end of the blade matches the angle on the tang. Then push the point of the blade against something like the edge of your workbench until it snaps in place. Don't try to put them on by holding them with your other hand. You WILL cut yourself. When removing them, I usually take a pair of needle-nose pliers and lift the end of the blade up off of the tang and push the blade off.
Attachments
Scalpel Blade Handle.jpeg
Scalpel Blade Handle.jpeg (16.6 KiB) Viewed 503 times

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

Thanks for the tip. Always good to learn something new.