Victor 2-60 reproducer adjustment

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Jop Amberola 30
Victor O

Victor 2-60 reproducer adjustment

Post by Jop Amberola 30 »

Hi all,

Picked up a nice clean 1927 Victor 2-60 suitcase portable at our weekend outdoor flea market. Been wanting a Victor suitcase portable for awhile… and one finally turns up 2 miles from home.

All is good except the reproducer needle bar is not making good contact with the mica and needs adjustment. It’s a 4 “A” reproducer. I see screws to adjust… but anyone know how to start?

Thanks!

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Victor 2-60 reproducer adjustment

Post by JerryVan »

Post a photo. If the needle arm is not touching the mica, then the screw that connects it to the mica has most likely been ripped out. In other words, more than an adjustment issue. But again... photos please.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Does your 2-60 still have a good tonearm bracket? If not, prepare to wait a LONG time. It’s been 4 years and I never got a replacement tonearm bracket. ☹️

Jop Amberola 30
Victor O

Tonearm bracket is solid and reproducer needle bar seems in alignment… so I’m pretty sure it’s due to extreme wobble in the tonearm bracket. Learned that the tonearm rides on 5 ball bearings and don’t doubt some are missing. Will dig into it this morning and verify.

Anyone know the ball bearing specs where maybe Ace or True Value might have them in their small hardware drawers… or is it best to order a pack on eBay?

MarkELynch
Victor II

Post by MarkELynch »

Hi Jop,

I just posted Victor Service Bulletin No. 7 in the Archive/Manual section. The bulletin covers the assembly and adjustment of the Victrola No. 4 soundbox.The 4A variant uses the same manual.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=52902

The tonearm bearings in your 2-60 are Victor part number 249PF. They are ⅛” diameter and used generally by Victor.
⅛” steel balls are a common bicycle shop or hardware store item,

Please post a photo of your 2-60.

Thanks,
Mark

Jop Amberola 30
Victor O

3F93EB9A-FE05-439B-84E6-172E7AA6D7D9.jpeg
Here ya go! Would have posted it earlier… but couldn’t figure out how to attach pics. Pretty proud of it for $80. Really clean suitcase portable found 2 miles from home. Soft tone needles really help with electrical recordings… and luckily I have a pack.

Appreciate your info about the ball bearings. Amazingly… they are all there! Spent some time adjusting the tonearm and the little beast plays near perfect now. That’s all it was. I’m not taking it further.

Thanks to everyone for the info!