14" Victor record 1903

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Neophone
Victor III

Re: 14" Victor record 1903

Post by Neophone »

FellowCollector wrote:Thanks for the warm welcome, John! I would be honored to post a pic of the label from my 14" Victor Deluxe Special record. Although, I must admit that since I've never posted a picture here I might need to ask for some help. I can easily get a .jpg image of it with my digital camera but if you or someone else would be so kind as to let me know how to post it I'll be pleased to! I have a number of other unusual records and labels that may be of interest to a few folks here. Being a very low profile type (I've never been to a phono show in more than twenty years of collecting!) it's wonderful to have this nice Forum to share a few odds and ends of interest that I've acquired over the years.

As far as the questions from others on the speed that I played the record in my video, I originally set my Victor 'D' for 60 revolutions and then played the record for about 30 seconds and it sounded like it was just a little fast. I adjusted the speed ever so slightly until it sounded about right to me and then shot the video. When editing the video later on I had forgotten that I decreased the speed slightly to produce what I felt was a better sounding playback. To be honest, it didn't matter to me how many revolutions the record was actually playing at after I fiddled a little with the speed. My only interest was that the viewers could see and listen to the record playing at what I felt sounded about right. A couple of my music box videos sound like they're playing a little too fast now that I review a few of them so maybe my hearing is a little off (insert big smile)!

Thanks again, John, and everyone for the warm and gracious welcome!

Doug
Doug,

Thank you. I'll be in touch via private message within the next day or so.

Regards,
John

Listening to the Victrola fifteen minutes a day will alter and brighten your whole life.
Use each needle only ONCE!

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Post by FellowCollector »

Sounds good, John! And thanks also for your nice comments and info, gramophoneshane!

Idelia412
Victor Jr
Personal Text: EMG

Post by Idelia412 »

Hello,

I recently came across a Columbia 14 inch record. I have been a collector for many years and this is the first time I have been able to acquire one of these rare discs. I know Victor made them, but there is little information on Columbia 14 inch discs made around the same time. I wonder who was first to put out a 14 inch record, Victor or Columbia? Any collectors out there that can fill me in on 14 inch Columbia disc records.

Regards,

Pete

MarkELynch
Victor II

Post by MarkELynch »

The Victor 14” Special Deluxe records were indeed a short lived product.
You can hear ten carefully transcribed 14” recordings (both the archival and the processed versions) and and see the label image of each at the new Library of Historical Audio Recordings at
i78s.org

Here is one I submitted for inclusion in the Library, it is by cornettists Jules Levy. Notice it is pitched at 58.1 RPM.

https://i78s.org/preview/85eb6327d974b9 ... 4d0e113111

Click the link and request a free user account. This is an incredible private library of over 40,000 recordings of many genres in both cylinder and disc format available for free auditioning. Guaranteed no spam.

Once signed into i78s.org be sure to watch the video instructions and search tips. The film icon in the upper right of the main screen will take you there. Enjoy!

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Post by FellowCollector »

Idelia412 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 4:02 pm Hello,

I recently came across a Columbia 14 inch record. I have been a collector for many years and this is the first time I have been able to acquire one of these rare discs.
The Columbia 14-inch records are even more rare than the 14 inch Victors. Please post a picture if you're comfortable doing that. I've never seen a Columbia 14 inch record in person. It would be fun to hear the story of how you found it.

Doug

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Idelia412 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 4:02 pm Hello,

I recently came across a Columbia 14 inch record. I have been a collector for many years and this is the first time I have been able to acquire one of these rare discs. I know Victor made them, but there is little information on Columbia 14 inch discs made around the same time. I wonder who was first to put out a 14 inch record, Victor or Columbia? Any collectors out there that can fill me in on 14 inch Columbia disc records.

Regards,

Pete
Victor was indeed the first to release 14-inch discs in the U.S. The press announcement was dated March 11, 1903. At two dollars a disc, sales were sluggish, and no more new 14-inch Victor "Deluxe Records"/"Deluxe Special Records" appeared after December 1904.

Strangely, Columbia didn't introduce its 14-inch discs until 1904 (didn't they know how poorly Victor's version was selling?). By 1905 or possibly early 1906, Columbia gave them up as well. It's difficult to determine exactly when Columbia introduced and discontinued its 14-inch discs since no mention of them was made in The Columbia Record (Columbia's dealer publication), nor have I found them mentioned in the Music Trade Review.

Here are the only two Columbia 14-inch discs I've been able to acquire in 55years of collecting...

George P.
14inchColumbia1.JPG
14inchColumbia2.JPG

apruizii
Victor II

Post by apruizii »

According to the victor-victrola site the three "Art Case" upright Victrolas (VV-350, VV-360, VV-370) that were introduced in the fall of 1924 were configured to play the long play 14" records which never came to fruition. Was there any other attempt to promote the short lived 1903-1904 14" records to justify the machines in 1924 for playing them?

AR

apruizii
Victor II

Post by apruizii »

I actually have a VV-370 for sale and you can see in the youtube video that the record platter is slightly larger than normal to support the 14" records.

https://youtu.be/JzmpEnhqYZ0

AR

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Wow, how things change.
When I started this thread in 2009 Id never seen a 14" disc in person, or even knew they exist.
Now I've got literally hundreds of 14" Pathés, as well as an Odeon.
The Odeon if I remember correctly dates from 1910, and the Pathé from around 1905-15 or so.
I guess the 14" disc was far more successful in Europe than it was in USA.

Idelia412
Victor Jr
Personal Text: EMG

Post by Idelia412 »

Hello again,

I am replying back as requested by Doug of Music Box Boy with pictures of my Columbia 14 inch record and also including a 16 inch Columbia record. Not sure of the format to post pictures as it is not allowing me too. Unsure how to post pictures on this site. I see the icon picture, but when I select it, nothing is posted. Anyone please provide me with instructions on how to post pictures on this site.

I have pictures of not only my 14 inch Columbia record but also a 16 inch Columbia record that I want to share.

The 16 inch record is blank on one side like the 14 inch and the label looks like the teens or early 20's.

Regards,

Pete