Unbelievable!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Jop Amberola 30
Victor Jr

Re: Unbelievable!

Post by Jop Amberola 30 »

Reminds me of the movie “The Book Of Eli” where the old couple in the farmhouse entertains them with Anita Ward’s 70s hit “Ring My Bell” on an external horn Victor.

Dischoard
Victor II
Personal Text: Born in the wrong century...

Post by Dischoard »

There are no words...

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

To most non collectors any disc record is "vinyl". The word "shellac" means nothing to them.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

I can't criticize here. In my youth, I too played the Beatles on a Victrola. I played "Revolution", a 45 on the Apple label, on my Victrola XVI. It actually held up pretty well. There... now you know my shameful past :oops:

As my Belgian ancestors would say, "A scandal on the whole family!"

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

JeffR1 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:35 pm I commented about destroying the vinyl record and this is what the Poster said.

I appreciate the concern but I only play vinyls on my gramophone if they are old, badly scratched and near worthless or if they are modern and still being manufactured. In this case, this old record was in poor condition when I found it in the bargain bin of a local record store. Personally I don't see the problem in having a little fun.
To be honest, fair enough, except, the web being the net, without a disclaimer it could easily mislead some clueless soul into destroying a record in good condition that way. That said, I'll confess the thought of one less Beatles record in the world doesn't cause me the least angui--uh, I think I'd better stop now. ;)

JeffR1
Victor II

Post by JeffR1 »

I said that in the comments as well, more or less, and I got an "SMH".
"shaking my head" _ I had to look that up.
I'm haggiscat1 over there.

mrrgstuff
Victor I

Post by mrrgstuff »

I will admit to have damaging the odd record as part of my YouTube experiments, though I have yet to try a vinyl record on a vintage gramophone

Personally I think there is enough junk vinyl in the world for this type of experimentation. The charity shops in the UK where I am are full of easy listening records from the 1970s that nobody wants

Even on the shellac front, I have plenty of already chipped or otherwise damaged records which I can use

I do understand that not everyone feels the same and for some people, physical records should only be played once for the purpose of obtaining a high quality digital file to then actually listen to. Other people are very happy for you to play records, but only if you use an expensive record player with a tracking force of under 2g. Anything else in their eyes just ruins the record

I suppose in the end my interest is mainly acoustic reproduction, so vintage machines are what I am going to use. Just my opinions though, everyone is entitled to their own.

vintagetenor
Victor I

Post by vintagetenor »

1. Playing an LP, Beatles or otherwise, on an early disc machine is funny.

2. There are too many LPs, Beatles or otherwise, in the world.

3. Playing an LP on an early disc machine is more acceptable to me (because of its humorous nature) than playing a swing era record on one.

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

There is a lesson to be learned from this, one which I will adhere to in the future. When selling an antique phonograph, one should include a basic set of instructions with some cautions about which type of records to play (and not play). Too often we take for granted that the buyer knows what to do. In this case, the buyer (a customer of mine) is a young college student, and I didn't include any instructions. That notwithstanding, he may know fully well what he is doing but still wanted to experiment with modern vinyl.

I few years ago I had a customer who knew nothing about cylinder phonographs but wanted to make a "stereo" setup, utilizing two Edison Standards. He was a DJ on Miami Beach and thought it would be cool. I cautioned him about the virtual impossibility of synchronizing such a setup, but he was unfazed and bought a pair of Standard F's. I never heard back from him again, and I assume to project was a failure.

We shouldn't be smug or condescending towards newbies; they are the future of the hobby and we all started somewhere.

Raphael

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Post by edisonplayer »

I used to play my mom's scratched up LPs on my Victrola. It was fun!edisonplayer