Unbelievable!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
outune
Victor IV

Re: Unbelievable!

Post by outune »

A few years ago I was at a large indoor antiques market. I was briefly drawn to one of the booths by the unmistakable sound of a Victrola playing. It turned out to be a reasonably nice VV-XI upright machine. The price tag was $750 !! Even so, a young couple was looking at the machine and talking with the dealer. I overheard the dealer tell the couple that "these machines can play any type of record--- 78, 45 and 33's."
The couple seemed very interested and asked the dealer about the machine's capability to play the girl's father's LP collection from the 1960's. The dealer assured them "absolutely", that it would be "fine".
The couple backed off a little ways and were obviously having a private conversation about possibly purchasing the machine.

Now, I don't make it a habit of injecting myself into others' business dealings, but in this case I felt a need to not only protect those apparently cherished LPs, but also to educate the young couple on this Victrola. I showed them my phono card, assured them I wasn't trying to sell them anything and told them the truth about the machine's capabilities.

I'll never know if the dealer was purposefully misleading the couple to make a sale, or if he was just uninformed.

Brad Abell