J-1-80 on Craigslist

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
OrthoFan
Victor V

J-1-80 on Craigslist

Post by OrthoFan »

I spotted this relatively rare model on Craigslist this morning:

http://greenville.craigslist.org/clt/997467172.html

This was nearly identical to the VV-1-90 (http://www.victor-victrola.com/1-90.htm) but produced for the Victor Talking Machine Company of Japan.

While popular in Japan, these seldom turn up in the US market.

This model used a small folded wooden tone chamber--similar to the type used on several smaller Orthophonic Victrola models.

VV-1-90 Horn:

It looks like the original grille cloth has been replaced with curtain or upholstery fabric, but this is quite a catch. (If I lived in the area, I'd snap it up!)

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Re: J-1-80 on Craigslist

Post by MordEth »

Ortho_Fan wrote:It looks like the original grille cloth has been replaced with curtain or upholstery fabric, but this is quite a catch. (If I lived in the area, I'd snap it up!)
Ortho_Fan,

Thanks for sharing this find with us—it seems like a nice possible acquisition to me, although I am still not knowledgeable enough about how good this price is. From the pictures, though, apart from the grille cloth, which is very easy to replace, everything appears to be in excellent condition.

— MordEth

[hr][/hr]
Here is the text of the listing, since we already have the images above:

J1-80 Victrola Victor Talking Machine Company of Japan, Ltd - $350 (Spartanburg, SC 29301)

Reply to: sale-997467172@craigslist.org
Date: 2009-01-18, 9:26AM EST

“His Master’s Voice”
Model J1-80
SN: 20943

This machine has a lot of character from the cabinet to the sound. Recently oiled, greased and adjusted. Sounds good. I will throw in some records.

Email me any questions.
Accept Cash or Postal Money Orders.
  • It’s NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
Craigslist PostingID: 997467172
Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

am still not knowledgeable enough about how good this price is.
Hi David:

I'd say, if the finish is original, and all parts are in good condition, the price is well within the ballpark. The last VV-1-90 I saw up for sale sold for around $400. As noted, the 1-90 is far more common in the US market, but since about 22,300 were manufactured, according to Baumbach, even these don't turn up that often.

solophoneman
Victor II

Post by solophoneman »

The smallest Victor Victrola containing all of the elements of an orthophonic, and not that common. I have a Victor 1-90 and attest, that with a good orthophonic reproducer, the sound quality produced by this little victrola is truly amazing. Not a bad price, just needs to have the grill cloth replaced.

Post by Guest »

The J 1-80 is a rare machine produced by Victor Talking Machines Japanese market. The machine uses the Orthophonic system and is awesome machine. They sound as good as a VV 1-90.

phonophan79
Victor IV

Post by phonophan79 »

Ok random post award of the day goes to GUEST for replying to a two year old thread?

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I was thinking the same thing! Hey - - Did you hear that GM is discontinuing Pontiac?

That's okay - any positive post is a good post!

George P.

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Post by Brad »

phonogfp wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:
I was thinking the same thing! Hey - - Did you hear that GM is discontinuing Pontiac?

That's okay - any positive post is a good post!

George P.

For all we know it popped of the top of David's stack and he just got around to approving it today :lol:
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?