Two-Door Credenza with Baffles

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Watanabehi
Victor II

Two-Door Credenza with Baffles

Post by Watanabehi »

Hi Credenza Lovers,

Several months ago my new credenza(no.1262) with two doors arrived home and it looks and sounds fantastic, of course I checked the horn's condition and other joints for the air-tight ness. Unlike 4-door one, its horn opening is wider. since it is not partially blocked by two doors. Also I made 4 baffles for the records storages in order to make the sound more efficient.

Best regards,

Hideki
Attachments
IMG_4788.JPG
IMG_4785.JPG
IMG_4784.JPG
IMG_4780.JPG
IMG_4779.JPG
IMG_4778.JPG

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Re: Two-Door Credenza with Baffles

Post by audiophile102 »

It's a beautiful example. I'm not sure how the storage baffles work, but again it looks great!
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

Watanabehi
Victor II

Post by Watanabehi »

The record storage baffles become a part of the main horn. They can extend the horn from both sides to the two large doors, which are also the extension of the horn parts. When those record storage rooms are empty, some sound from the horn will escape to the inside of the storages rooms, which means there must be some loss of the sound from the main horn. I hope I explain the function of the baffles.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

The Micro-Perophone Chromogram, the best cabinet gramophone most people have never heard of, did it like this :
Attachments
Chromogram Catalogue 007.jpg
Chromogram Catalogue 007.jpg (89.37 KiB) Viewed 777 times

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Watanabehi wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:52 pm The record storage baffles become a part of the main horn. They can extend the horn from both sides to the two large doors, which are also the extension of the horn parts. When those record storage rooms are empty, some sound from the horn will escape to the inside of the storages rooms, which means there must be some loss of the sound from the main horn. I hope I explain the function of the baffles.
Does this mean that you did not modify the cabinet in any way, aside from fitting some grill cloth over the record storage areas?

Watanabehi
Victor II

Post by Watanabehi »

I have not modified any parts of the cabinet. I just made flat cardboard boxes lacquered with mahogany stain and put them in the storage spaces without any opening.

Hideki

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Watanabehi wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:33 am I have not modified any parts of the cabinet. I just made flat cardboard boxes lacquered with mahogany stain and put them in the storage spaces without any opening.

Hideki
Interesting! Thanks for sharing!

ChuckA
Victor III
Personal Text: Learn from the mistakes of others - You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Post by ChuckA »

Watanabehi wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:33 am I have not modified any parts of the cabinet. I just made flat cardboard boxes lacquered with mahogany stain and put them in the storage spaces without any opening.

Hideki
Can you explain how putting 4 cardboard boxes in the record album shelves improves the sound over just leaving them open?
I'm not asking how you can hear an improvement, but a definite repeatable improvement provable with math or actual test equipment results.

Chuck

Watanabehi
Victor II

Post by Watanabehi »

I do not have any equipment to measure the differences of the sound. If you have the same model of Credenza in good condition and do the same thing like I did, you can test the sound differences using any equipments you have. I use Susudake fiber needles which I make for all of my collections. This two-door Credenza can compete with HMV 202 Gramophone I have quite well in terms of volume and sound quality.

Hideki

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

Hi Hideki:

Based on what you explained, you did not drill or cut apertures in the sides of the horn to allow the sound waves to pass directly into the baffle chambers, as is the case with the Micro-Perophone Chromogram.

Instead, from what I see, the chambers make the record compartments flush with the horn's mouth. Could the improvement you hear, then, result from the sound waves being more efficiently transmitted to the open doors, via the flat surfaces over the record compartments? This would cause the doors to function, to some extent, as an extension to the horn's mouth.

OrthoFan