Unknown Phonograph Base Cabinet

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Skihawx
Victor III

Unknown Phonograph Base Cabinet

Post by Skihawx »

I bought this Mahogany cabinet from a picture and did not try to ask for measurements. I knew the outside was 20" and it was square. I thought it would fit one of my Mahogany Victor's. The IV is way too small, one VI is too big the other too small, the V is 16-¼" also to big. The inside dimensions are about 15-⅞". Was this made for a Columbia?? It does have a #59 on the bottom. Anyone recognize it? At one time I thought the was at least one record base catalog in a post on this forum, but I could not find it. I think it is a very nice looking cabinet. It does have a key, it is not in the pictures.
Attachments
cabinet 1.JPG
cabinet 2.JPG
cabinet 3 (2).JPG
cabinet 4.JPG

pallophotophone
Victor II

Re: Unknown Phonograph Base Cabinet

Post by pallophotophone »

Very beautiful ! Congratulations !

I know it isn't much to go on, but that door open/ closer arrangement smacks of Herzog. I wonder if under those modern footpads are holes for casters ?

Skihawx
Victor III

Post by Skihawx »

It came right out of a very nice living room with hardwood floors. I knew the pads were new but didn't think about it covering holes for casters. My Victor VI cabinet does not have the fancy door hardware and only has round type bun feet.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

I would suggest the intended machine did not necessarily fit within the trim frame on top of the cabinet. My Victor IV with matching cabinet is a good example. The IV fits on top of the frame and gives the appearance of an additional trim piece that steps down to the record cabinet. Is it possible that one of your machines fit the cabinet in the same manner? Your looks like a lovely cabinet. Could it be for a large rear mount mahogany Zonophone?

Jerry B.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Jerry B. »

Here's a photo of a Zonophone that measures 16&⅛" square. It is very close to ⅛" smaller than the neighboring Victor VI. At that moment in time Zonophone was owned and controlled by Victor. Of course the Zonophone could not be a large as the Victor Vi. Even the Zonophone turntable is slightly smaller than the 12" Victor turntable. How close is the Zonophone to fitting your cabinet?

Jerry B.

(Thanks, photo added!)
Attachments
tempImagexsmWiN.gif
Last edited by Jerry B. on Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

Jerry,

Now I see a photo. :squirrel:
Last edited by AZ* on Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Best regards ... AZ*

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

Jerry B. wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:10 pm Here's a photo of a Zonophone that measures 16&⅛" square. It is very close to ⅛" smaller than the neighboring Victor VI. At that moment in time Zonophone was owned and controlled by Victor. Of course the Zonophone could not be a large as the Victor Vi. Even the Zonophone turntable is slightly smaller than the 12" Victor turntable. How close is the Zonophone to fitting your cabinet?

Jerry B.

(Thanks, photo added!)
That’s a nice cluster of machines. Your Pooley VTLA is later than mine, (and more complete). What is your serial number?

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Jerry B. »

My VTLA is #1414. PM sent about a spring motor possibility. Fingers crossed!

Jerry B.

Skihawx
Victor III

Post by Skihawx »

I haven't had time to get back to measuring the top of the cabinet. I think the 16-⅛" would be a very tight fit. I didn't realize there were such high end looking Zonophone machines. Someone suggested it could be for a Victrola VI. I would think that cabinets would only be produced for popular machines that produced in volume. Were early Victrola VI's produced in Mahogany?

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

My curiosity piqued, I had a look through the Baumbach Columbia Phonograph Companion Vol. II, and I saw only one machine offered in mahogany for which close dimensions were given: the Eclipse was 15.5" square. It was a lidless tabletop model that sold for $20 in oak, $25 in optional mahogany. The size would be right, but somehow, however, that seems an awfully modest machine to have spawned such an elaborate cabinet as this.