Pedestal advice for Victor II

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Flying Dutchman
Victor I
Personal Text: Moby says hello…

Pedestal advice for Victor II

Post by Flying Dutchman »

Hello all!
Recently picked up a pedestal to display and run my Victor II.
As you can see from the photos there is about ½” clearance from the bottom Victor case base and pedestal top. It’s a great fit.
I have and need some advice regarding a possible anchor for the Victor II to the pedestal top.

I was thinking of two options….

1) drilling “half cups” under the cabinet rubber feet into the top of the pedestal making the case seat flush while seating the rubber feet inside the new cups of the pedestal top.
Or
2) tacking or pin set small wooden wedges just behind the rubber feet triangles at a “locking angle” on all 4 corners…

Both methods would ensure that the phonograph has to be lifted up and over the holes or wooden wedges to move.

I’m just trying to stay away from accidental slips given the very small clearance from phonograph case and pedestal top.

I would love to see other pedestals or anchoring ideas by as many members as possible…

I know the minds here are far better than mine to get a solution to this problem!

Thank you all…Mike
Attachments
IMG_6221.jpeg
IMG_6219.jpeg
IMG_6218.jpeg
IMG_6217.jpeg

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: Pedestal advice for Victor II

Post by Inigo »

Much more elegant solution if you prepare an additional intermediate board to be laid on top of the pedestal, which has the holes above to house the Victor pegs, etc. That board can be made larger than the pedestal, with protruding pieces below that simply are adjusted to the pedestal top by the four sides. That new board could be finished to match the pedestal wood, so it seems invisible...
Inigo

Flying Dutchman
Victor I

Yes that is a fine idea.

I do kinda like the fact that the case base and pedestal top are close to size.

I will try and find an esthetic balance of a bit wider for security and not too wide of a top to detract from the look I like.

Matching the rest of the pedestal will take some trial and error also.

If anyone has a stain that they’ve used that would be a match or technique to come close Id love some guidance.

Thank you!!!

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

Inigo wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 10:51 am Much more elegant solution if you prepare an additional intermediate board to be laid on top of the pedestal, which has the holes above to house the Victor pegs, etc. That board can be made larger than the pedestal, with protruding pieces below that simply are adjusted to the pedestal top by the four sides. That new board could be finished to match the pedestal wood, so it seems invisible...
This is a great idea. In fact, the top of the pedestal has an opening, so you do not need to nail into the pedestal at all. Simply make a new top with cups for the feet. Attach a square of wood under the new top to fit in the opening of the pedestal.

I would not make the new top any larger. Any larger and it will mess with the nice proportions it currently has. This will also conceal any matching issue.

James

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

Illustrated ...
IMG_0844.JPG
James.

Flying Dutchman
Victor I

That is an excellent idea added to the first….thank you Inigo and James!
These two ideas will certainly increase the stability.
With the weight of the phonograph and the weight of the pedestal itself, I’m sure this will work.

fmblizz
Victor IV

Post by fmblizz »

those corner blocks on the bottom of the machine ruin a nice flow/profile IMHO..

blizz

KCW
Victor II

Post by KCW »

That pedestal is stunning. Where did it come from?

Flying Dutchman
Victor I

KCW wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 9:27 pm That pedestal is stunning. Where did it come from?
KCW, thanks!
Picked it up from a dealer outside of Queens NY. Quite the drive from Massachusetts but we made a day of it.
Retired font I believe from about the turn of the 20th century, time for its next life!!

dzavracky
Victor IV
Personal Text: college collector

Post by dzavracky »

I second James’ opinion and I would also remove those feet on the corners of the phonograph.

It’s a gorgeous base. Congratulations on the find!

David