It's Finally here!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

It's Finally here!

Post by phonogfp »

The post office was unusually slow this time, but...
APS001.jpg
APS002.jpg

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: It's Finally here!

Post by JerryVan »

Got mine yesterday. I'm anxious to read the article on Gems. The articles on really rare stuff are interesting, but not likely as relevant to me as articles on machines that I can hope to own or that I do own.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

JerryVan wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:03 pm Got mine yesterday. I'm anxious to read the article on Gems. The articles on really rare stuff are interesting, but not likely as relevant to me as articles on machines that I can hope to own or that I do own.
I hear you, Jerry. Mike Sherman has done a nice job of writing about more common machines in a relevant way. I hope to do a bit of that myself, but it isn't as easy as it might look!

I will eventually be following up the Gem article with one on Edison Standards, and another on Edison Homes, and another on Edison Concerts - - all with dating charts up to May 1908.

I hope you enjoy the Gem article.

George P>

Ben the phono man
Victor II
Personal Text: Genuine New Jersey Native

Post by Ben the phono man »

That article on gems was very interesting, Looking forward to the ones on the home, standard, fireside, and triumph!
- Ben

CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Post by CharliePhono »

In Californy here and no magazine yet as of June 8.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special

Post by phonogfp »

Ben the phono man wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:23 pm That article on gems was very interesting, Looking forward to the ones on the home, standard, fireside, and triumph!
I'm glad you enjoyed it, Ben! The Fireside was introduced in 1909, so there's no known sales data to share. An extensive article on the Spring Motor/Triumph already appeared in the December 2019 issue.

George P.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Just read the Gem article. Excellent! Thanks! Made me look over all my Gems for the details you mentioned. Also makes me want a "branded" case model, since it's the missing link between my "Drip Pan" Gem and my 1902 Model A. The hunt is on!

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Oh MAN! I need to check my Mailbox :oops:

AllenKoe
Victor II

Post by AllenKoe »

Thanks for the heads-up. The ink was still fresh on mine which just arrived as well. Nate did a fine job of including a great variety of articles and subjects.

The reprise of the stalwart Gem Phonograph was quite interesting, as it reminded me of my first 'drip-pan' model years ago. The year-by-year over-view was very helpful.

I was curious about the circumstances that led to the "Model C" nomenclature, and the Court-ordered "fine" that was imposed on Edison (National) which seems like (almost) a slap on the wrist (p. 39). Do we have a date for that event?

Thx.

Allen

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special

Post by phonogfp »

AllenKoe wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:33 pm I was curious about the circumstances that led to the "Model C" nomenclature, and the Court-ordered "fine" that was imposed on Edison (National) which seems like (almost) a slap on the wrist (p. 39). Do we have a date for that event?
Not an exact date, although I suspect one could be found if necessary. Below is a scan of March 1908 issue of The Edison Phonograph Monthly which delivers the company's perspective without going into much detail.

Frow (p.364) cites a letter dated February 7, 1908 from Frank Dyer recommending features to be deleted from Edison products to comply with the ruling, so that event likely occurred in January 1908.

George P.
APS003.jpg