Edison Spring Motor/Triumph Questionnaire

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Edison Spring Motor/Triumph Questionnaire

Post by phonogfp »

A very interesting Spring Motor, Steve - thanks for sharing it!

George P.

danohallaron
Victor O

Post by danohallaron »

Here are a couple of additional pics. Though quieter than my Triumphs with large Reproducers, it has a wonderful and very stable tone. I am aware I have a couple of things to sort out, still. If the A did not have an adjuster on the halfnut spring, I need shorter screws to remove the adjuster. And the 2/4 is a little off, making me wonder about the mandrel. So, a work in progress.

George P. Where has your research led you on the dividing line between SM and Triumph? What is the highest SM serial # you have found? Is 30028 the lowest Triumph in your spreadsheet?
Attachments
20240212_092000.jpg
20240212_091932.jpg
20240212_092646.jpg
Screenshot_20240212_082146_Gallery.jpg

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Nice Dan! Thanks!

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Dan,

My spreadsheet currently contains 229 Spring Motors and Triumphs. The highest-numbered Spring Motor (meaning a drawer-type cabinet and no screws in the corners of the bed plate) I have documented is #29250. The lowest-numbered Triumph (banner cabinet with bed plate secured by screws) in the spreadsheet is #29493.

George P.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

phonogfp wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:16 pm Dan,

My spreadsheet currently contains 229 Spring Motors and Triumphs. The highest-numbered Spring Motor (meaning a drawer-type cabinet and no screws in the corners of the bed plate) I have documented is #29250. The lowest-numbered Triumph (banner cabinet with bed plate secured by screws) in the spreadsheet is #29493.

George P.
George,

Are we to gather then, that Spring Motor serial numbers were continued into the Triumph line?

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special

Post by phonogfp »

JerryVan wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:59 pm George,
Are we to gather then, that Spring Motor serial numbers were continued into the Triumph line?
Yes, since the Triumph was primarily a re-named Spring Motor, the serial numbers continued sequentially.

George P.