Help with Lyre Amberola Grill

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Ben the phono man
Victor II
Personal Text: Genuine New Jersey Native

Re: Help with Lyre Amberola Grill

Post by Ben the phono man »

dzavracky wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:31 pm Yes I would...but I have two problems.

1) Since there has been no other interest in having a replacement grill, I don't want to be out $200+ in veneer just to have extras. Even just making 1 extra for someone would offset the cost of the veneer. At the moment, I don't have that much spending money.

2) I will only have access to this CNC machine for about 4 more weeks. Once I graduate, I won't be going back to my schools woodshop. So I make 10 or so templates and just keep those on hand. I can always buy veneer later, glue it on, and carefully cut the veneer out from the back side of the grill. It will be more work.. but it's really the best option for me at the moment.

David
Hey David,

Fellow younger collector/restorer here. I'm picking up a large selection of uprights (mostly parts machines, trashed cabinets, etc) and no doubt there will be some oak machines that need to be broken up. In this case, your 1a grill would be super authentic! I'll be picking these machines up in late may. Sorry it's not sooner, But I'd love to give you a hand. It would certainly save you some money...

- Ben
- Ben

dzavracky
Victor IV
Personal Text: college collector

Post by dzavracky »

Ben the phono man wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:30 pm
dzavracky wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:31 pm Yes I would...but I have two problems.

1) Since there has been no other interest in having a replacement grill, I don't want to be out $200+ in veneer just to have extras. Even just making 1 extra for someone would offset the cost of the veneer. At the moment, I don't have that much spending money.

2) I will only have access to this CNC machine for about 4 more weeks. Once I graduate, I won't be going back to my schools woodshop. So I make 10 or so templates and just keep those on hand. I can always buy veneer later, glue it on, and carefully cut the veneer out from the back side of the grill. It will be more work.. but it's really the best option for me at the moment.

David
Hey David,

Fellow younger collector/restorer here. I'm picking up a large selection of uprights (mostly parts machines, trashed cabinets, etc) and no doubt there will be some oak machines that need to be broken up. In this case, your 1a grill would be super authentic! I'll be picking these machines up in late may. Sorry it's not sooner, But I'd love to give you a hand. It would certainly save you some money...

- Ben
I know the man who runs the woodshop pretty well. I suppose I could try to work something out so that I can go in late May early June. Can you send me any pics of the machines?

Cheers,

David

dzavracky
Victor IV

Post by dzavracky »

I think the oval portion is too small. It needs to be stretched out, and the shape of the bottom portion of the lyre isn't quite right. At least it fits in the opening :lol: . I will edit this and potentially make another one tomorrow.

And I know it needs a trim piece… it will be made after the grill design is finalized.

David
Attachments
IMG_0474.png
IMG_0472.png

phonograph guy3435
Victor I
Personal Text: edison amberola guy

Post by phonograph guy3435 »

looks great so far!

tictalk
Victor II

Post by tictalk »

dzavracky wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:04 pm I think the oval portion is too small. It needs to be stretched out, and the shape of the bottom portion of the lyre isn't quite right. At least it fits in the opening :lol: . I will edit this and potentially make another one tomorrow.

And I know it needs a trim piece… it will be made after the grill design is finalized.

David
Hi David, the oval does look too small, our opening is 14 ⅝" wide by 10 ⅝" tall, there is only 1" of grill left on sides of the opening and just a little more than an inch on the top and bottom. I would have done a tracing for you, but we have never been able to get our grill out. Don't forget you will need a raised wood ring around the opening that may be a bit of a challenge, if you are going to make several I would be interested in purchasing a few. Here is picture of ours Looks great so far Larry.
Attachments
eddie8.jpg
eddie8.jpg (73.3 KiB) Viewed 143 times

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Notice also that Larry's grill is a bit different as shown below...
grill.png
grill.png (400.34 KiB) Viewed 140 times

dzavracky
Victor IV

Post by dzavracky »

Larry,

Thanks for the measurements! That should be enough to get this next one correct.

Updates to follow soon.

David