Victrola playing to slow, apparently

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Damfino59
Victor II

Re: Victrola playing to slow, apparently

Post by Damfino59 »

Edisonfan wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 6:59 pm Maybe if I had, an earlier external horn Victor Talking Machine. The speed would not have been an issue?
Wouldn’t make a difference.

I have both types Victors & Victrolas. A slower playing issue can be heard whether the horn is out in the open or hidden in the case.

Edisonfan
Victor V
Personal Text: Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration

Post by Edisonfan »

Curt A wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 8:15 pm Bake dat chicken pie isn't exactly a record that sounds great at any speed and the lyrics/language/accents really can't be used to fine tune your machine... Try a real recording.
Yeah I should do that.

Edisonfan
Victor V
Personal Text: Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration

Post by Edisonfan »

Damfino59 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 8:37 pm
Edisonfan wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 6:59 pm Maybe if I had, an earlier external horn Victor Talking Machine. The speed would not have been an issue?
Wouldn’t make a difference.

I have both types Victors & Victrolas. A slower playing issue can be heard whether the horn is out in the open or hidden in the case.
Okay! I still don’t know how this viewer, was able to hear that my machine was too slow? Even though the speed, indicator showed 78!

MarkELynch
Victor II

Post by MarkELynch »

Hopefully we have reached the conclusion to this thread but we still do not know if Paul has corrected the speed indicating pointer on his Victrola. Have you made the necessary corrections, Paul? No additional videos are needed, there are already several good YouTube tutorials about how to adjust the pointer. Are we finished discussing the vagaries of 76 versus 78 RPM. We know that speeds have varied over time. Paul, did you tune your record to a known source or compare it with one of the 17 transcriptions at the i78s.org website? We don’t yet have an answer. Have some of us decided that writing your name on an egg as described in the subject recording a bad idea?

Paul, please confirm that you have adjusted the pointer so we can put this lengthy discussion to bed. 😊

Mark