Soundbox replacement candidates.

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
osero1ww
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Never have I experienced happiness greater than fixing my gramophone by myself.

Soundbox replacement candidates.

Post by osero1ww »

Hello everyone. Im new to this hobby, and this is officially my first post on this wonderful forum. I purchased a banged up Decca 10 portable two years ago, my very first gramophone, and have worked on bringing it back to working order. The gramophone plays well, but the soundbox is still damaged and produces a noticable distortion. (The diaphragm was dented so I had to fashion one out of an aluminium food container, and the needle screws are worn to the point that adjusting them is impossible.) I was yearning to buy a replacement soundbox for it but my knowledge on soundboxes are quite limited. Does anyone have any suggestions on what soundbox would fit on my portable? Thanks.
Attachments
Information paper
Information paper
Back of the soundbox
Back of the soundbox
Closer look at the soundbox
Closer look at the soundbox
Soundbox and tonearm
Soundbox and tonearm
My gramophone.
My gramophone.

mrrgstuff
Victor I

Re: Soundbox replacement candidates.

Post by mrrgstuff »

Welcome!

I have one of these machines, but unfortunately not to hand. I believe the soundbox has the common small bore Victor/HMV bayonet fitting, so many soundboxes should fit, like the HMV No.4, and many other ones from similar portables.

I can't get to my machine right now, but probably worth posting a message on the British and European forum as there will be more people there who know.

Aluminium food packaging can be made to work, but it needs to be corrugated, like here:

https://youtu.be/mK1bGhanqf4

Anyway, the Deccas are great machines, and well worth getting back in action.

Good luck with the project :D

osero1ww
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Never have I experienced happiness greater than fixing my gramophone by myself.

Post by osero1ww »

What a delightful surprise to have you answer my post. Thanks for the information and advice. I shall have a post made on the other forum. Thanks again. :D

EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

I am not sure of your location, but if you want your soundbox fixed well, contact "Micamonster" on the forum. His name is Wyatt Markus and he lives in New York. He restored a reproducer for me and it is just perfect!
Don (in Pennsylvania) Tell him about the phonograph and your beginning interests.