Edison Standard Model "A" Rubber Captive nuts.

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
NEFaurora
Victor IV
Personal Text: "A Phonograph in every home..."

Edison Standard Model "A" Rubber Captive nuts.

Post by NEFaurora »

Hey Gang.... I've run into this problem again working on a 1903-04 Edison Model "A" Standard (New Case).

I'm trying to remove the three Motor Mount Round Captive Nuts.. At one time when they were new, these were covered and with a Rubber isolator. 120+ years later, All of the original rubber is gone and what you see is what remains. All three are just like this one. Looking for a general concensus here of what people do to remove these round nuts...especially if they are frozen to the bolt (as pictured) I have to do three of these...and not a happy camper. I did these on a Model "A" machine about 7 years ago and I had to drill out all of the 3 bolts...What a bear. I sat there with a dremel and knurl bit for like 2 hours....but worked. Don't feel like doing that again. If I could cut them off, I would gladly do so.....I'll just replace the bolts with something modern. Edison couldn't have made it any harder to remove these.

Any ideas???!!?? What would you do??? Looking for some suggestions on the removal of the round captive nut. See Pic. All three are just like this...rubber all gone, al the bolts go round and round...

Thanks,

Tony K.

Tony Kovar
Edison Collector/Restorer
Melbourne, Florida
Attachments
Edison Model A Captive round nut- Pic 1.jpg

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Edison Standard Model "A" Rubber Captive nuts.

Post by phonogfp »

I assume you're already tried penetrating oil. If so, try applying heat with a propane torch, then attach Vice-Grips on the nut while working the bolt with a proper size screwdriver. Good luck!

George P.

NEFaurora
Victor IV

Post by NEFaurora »

Yeah George P, Last time I did this very same project was over 7 years ago on another Model "A".... I wound up in the end busting out my Dremel and big knurl bit and ground off the heads of each of the 3 machine screws before they all let go.... The Machine Screws are hardened steel and take quite awhile to grind off the heads... much longer than you might think... and of course the nuts on these are rusted on after 120+ years just like that last one I did... I'll try the vice grips thing again....but not much to grab onto though unfortunately...that didn't work for me 7 years ago....maybe I'll get lucky this time.... :)

Just asking if anyone had come up with a better or newer ideas on how to work these off since the last 7 years I did the job....... The "Curse of the Model "A" " continues.....lol... :)

Thanks again,

Tony K.

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, Florida

NEFaurora
Victor IV

Post by NEFaurora »

Just an FYI, Tried the Vice grips thing again....It was a total bust. There's literally nothing to "grab" onto as I had originally remembered... I have all sizes of vice grips to from very small to very large too...

Looks like I'll be busting out the dremel and knurl bit again..... :o)

Tony K.

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, Florida

drboruff
Victor I

Post by drboruff »

Tony,
I've had some success in the past wedging the end of a flat head screwdriver between the captive nut and the casting, then applying moderate downward pressure on the nut while unscrewing the machine screw. If you can get a couple of turns, it will create some additional space for the vice grips to grab.
David

NEFaurora
Victor IV

Post by NEFaurora »

Yeah David, I tried that method you describe 7 years ago to no avail... I'll try it again though.... I just hit them all with penetrating oil about an hour ago and will let them sit overnight and soak. Tomorrow, I will try to wedge a screwdriver above the nut and apply some downforce...may I'll get lucky and one or two of the bolts will give way... :)

I think that its overly obvious why these mounts were re-designed by Edison on the next model, The Model "B".... ;)

Tony K.

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, Florida

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

Those nuts are brass and the steel screws have seized in them. I was able to get ahold of them with vise grips and eventually get them out. Make sure you get as much of the old rubber out as possible in order to get as much brass as possible to grab with your vise grips. Ron Sitka used to sell the rubber parts for those, so maybe his successor has them available.

NEFaurora
Victor IV

Post by NEFaurora »

"Ron Sitko used to sell the rubber parts for those, so maybe his successor has them available."

What successor??!??

Tony K.

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, Florida

grampaphone
Victor O

Post by grampaphone »

Is there enough space between the edge of the nut and the bolt to drill two small ⅛" holes into the nut, one on each side of the bolt. Then try using snap ring pliers to hold the nut while turning the bolt. I have done this before on other nuts, hard to do but doable.
snap ring pliers_.jpg
snap ring pliers_.jpg (28.17 KiB) Viewed 299 times

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

NEFaurora wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 7:42 am "Ron Sitko used to sell the rubber parts for those, so maybe his successor has them available."

What successor??!??

Tony K.

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, Florida
https://thephonographshop.com/