Recently Found Columbia Graphophone Type C

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
mattrx
Victor IV

Recently Found Columbia Graphophone Type C

Post by mattrx »

Recently I purchased an early Graphopone Type C (early version per Hazelcorn) I would like to
Know more about the machine, its inner workings and date of mfg.

The machine holds tension, but when engaged it bogs down and binds. Hopefully someone can help me with this issue.

Any help is appreciated, and thank you!
Attachments
IMG_6495.jpeg
IMG_6494.jpeg
IMG_6493.jpeg
IMG_6487.jpeg
IMG_6488.jpeg
IMG_6489.jpeg
IMG_6490.jpeg
IMG_6491.jpeg
IMG_6492.jpeg
Last edited by mattrx on Thu Jul 18, 2024 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChuckA
Victor III
Personal Text: Learn from the mistakes of others - You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Re: Recently Found Columbia Graphophone Type C Found

Post by ChuckA »

First off it's a nice looking C. The tray is usually missing.

It takes a lot to stop one of those motors so if it runs correctly with the belt off and when you disengage the clutch than either the top works are
incredibly gummed up with dried grease or something is bent or potmetal parts are binding. best thing is to just take the top works apart clean and check
all the moving parts. If you haven't taken one of them apart go slow and take notes where pieces came from, especially the small drive gear on the mandrel
shaft put it in backwards and the pulley won't tighten on the shaft, also the nut on the drive pulley is left hand thread.
The reproducer on the slanted carriage models should be a #2 and the horizontal carriage mount is a #5. I think yours has a #8.

I have 4 of them 3 different versions with the slanted reproducer one with the horizontal.

Chuck

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Chuck has given excellent advice on how to eliminate the drag when the feed screw is engaged.

As for when this one was manufactured, it's somewhat helpful that the Type A/AT and Type C shared serial blocks so that known production benchmarks can be compared. I'd date this Type C at 1899.

George P.

mattrx
Victor IV

Post by mattrx »

Thank you both very much. I am very unfamiliar with early Columbia’s and could only gather so much from the Hazelcorn book.