Would this offend the Talking machine Forum?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
LaoChe85
Victor Jr
Personal Text: I'm new to this, and am really excited to delve more into the interest!

Would this offend the Talking machine Forum?

Post by LaoChe85 »

Hello all,
Before doing this, I wanted to know if using different gramophone parts on the wrong empty cabinets would be frowned upon? I bought a HMV model 10 cabinet without the horn, motorboard etc and I was thing of making my own horn and motorboard as a summer project. If this would offend some people then I wont take to it, so please tell me what you think. I'm not a snowflake who can't take a bit of opposition but my idea just seemed a bit odd and I wanted other peoples take on it.
Thanks, Leo

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Would this offend the Talking machine Forum?

Post by JerryVan »

Personally, I would have no problem with your plan. If you started with a nice machine and made something else out of it, I probably would not be fan.

LaoChe85
Victor Jr
Personal Text: I'm new to this, and am really excited to delve more into the interest!

Post by LaoChe85 »

Thank you, I think I'm going to go ahead with my plan and I'll see how it goes. :D

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

I see nothing wrong with your plan, but I'd suggest, after you complete it, write down what you did to restore it on a small slip of paper and tuck that inside the cabinet in a protective envelope. You never know how long the gramophone will be around and looking ahead 30, 40, 50 or more years, a future collector who stumbles upon it will have a complete history. (This, of course, assumes there will still be people around at that time.)

OrthoFan

LaoChe85
Victor Jr

Post by LaoChe85 »

I intend to do this or something like this as you've said. Lets hope they're still standing in 50 years!

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

A friend of mine did exactly what you propose, by installing an HMV157 horn in an early 1920's HMV cabinet. Both the cabinet and the horn had been lying around in his workshop, and they enabled him to create a useable machine. Nothing wrong with that.

BigC
Victor II

Post by BigC »

Your machine your project, it shouldn't offend others. It's better to put some parts to good use than to just store them. I have collected several parts from machines that have been destroyed when shipped and planning on putting them all together and see what comes out of it. Better than throwing them away. Have fun and when complete post pictures please.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

no problems here! I have half a frankenphone project that I inherited last month, I'm thinking about putting a Standard A horn and tonearm on the case with the Heinemann motor and complete this machine!

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Personally, I don't care for things that muddy the collecting waters. Years ago a local collector had a Triumph that needed restoration. I'll call him Collector A. In the process of repair, Collector A had the deck and assorted parts stripped of paint and had the parts nickel plated. The completed machine looked terrific. Collector A died and it went to his son, Collector B. Collector B owned it for quite a few years before downsizing his collector. Collector C was a newer collector who was anxious to add a "quality" piece to his collection. He bought the Triumph for a price five times the value of nice but regular Triumph. This is a sad but true story. In his defense, I don't think Collector B was aware that his dad had the parts nickel plated. Pieces of paper get lost, sometimes conveniently. My opinion...

Jerry B.