Edison Amberola 30 matching record cabinet

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
MTPhono
Victor III

Edison Amberola 30 matching record cabinet

Post by MTPhono »

I would be interested in seeing pictures of a removed record shelf (bottom and rear) of a similar cabinet. I found and bought this cabinet over the weekend after questioning whether or not it was even a record cabinet. Luckily there are several examples online that are nearly identical.

My only concern with the cabinet is that the shelves dont have any sort of catch. If the shelves are pulled out too far and let go, it will drop to the floor. Is it possible that is the way it was designed?

None of the other examples online have pegs. I believe it was meant to store BA cylinders in their boxes.

Thanks,
Scott

Last edited by MTPhono on Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gibsonj
Victor O

Re: Edison Amberola 30 matching record cabinet

Post by gibsonj »

Scott

Its quite possible this cabinet never had drawer stops, and, as you said, was designed for Amberols in their boxes.

I have an Amberola 75, which has three drawers that slide out and have no stops. I'm confident this was the original design as it was my grandfather's machine when new.

Nice find. Are there any markings on the cabinet that give a clue to the manufacturer? I know that Edison dealt with several cabinet suppliers.

John

MTPhono
Victor III

Post by MTPhono »

Thanks John. Now that you mention it, it is likely that whoever made the 75 cabinet may have also made this one. Are there markings on your cabinet? If so, where?

barnettrp21122
Victor IV
Personal Text: "Did you ever stop to think that pleasure is a duty?" (Victor sales pamphlet)

Post by barnettrp21122 »

Here's a picture detailing the drawer stops on a cabinet of mine:
cylinder cabinet drawer stop detail.jpg
The wood stop is simply fastened with two small nails, and maybe glued. Of course, the drawers can't be removed without taking these off.

My one-door cylinder cabinets are hinged on the left side, as is the Amberola 75.

Bob
"Comparison is the thief of joy" Theodore Roosevelt

His Master's Voice Automatic 1A Exponential Gramophone Demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi70G1Rzqpo

barnphono
Victor Jr

Post by barnphono »

Here are a few photos of from a cabinet similar to yours (pardon the dust). The person I got it from said that it had been in their wife's family since new. Nice looking cabinet but very light-weight and simply built.
Mike
drawer.jpg
bottom.jpg
inside.jpg

MTPhono
Victor III

Post by MTPhono »

Thanks for both the on and offline info and pictures. Starting to put this all together. Apparently there are a number of variations and designs, all simple and cheaply built. Here is the inside of mine:

rgordon939
Victor V

Post by rgordon939 »

Here are are a few pictures of my Amberola 30 with cabinet. It is the exact same cabinet that is shown on the Intertique page listed below. It is a great little cabinet.
http://www.intertique.com/AmberolaRecordCabinet.html

Rich Gordon
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

NEFaurora
Victor IV
Personal Text: "A Phonograph in every home..."

Post by NEFaurora »

I like these cabinets..

I like the drawers with the 4 surrounding sides, not just a flat base like the one above. I also like drawers that will hold complete cylinder tubes with their boxes.. I'm not too crazy about the drawers with the "pegs" on the bottom of the drawers. I have a few of them, but I think that the plain drawers that let me store a complete cylinder tube and record together wins out every time.

Tony K.

Andersun
Victor III

Post by Andersun »

barnphono wrote:Here are a few photos of from a cabinet similar to yours (pardon the dust). The person I got it from said that it had been in their wife's family since new. Nice looking cabinet but very light-weight and simply built.
Mike
Scott,

I had an Amberola 30 setup from original owner. It was identical to this. No stops, no pegs and had the steel runners. And had the same door knob as yours. It was a brass knob, not a handle.

Steve
Last edited by Andersun on Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

NEFaurora wrote:I like these cabinets..

I like the drawers with the 4 surrounding sides, not just a flat base like the one above. I also like drawers that will hold complete cylinder tubes with their boxes.. I'm not too crazy about the drawers with the "pegs" on the bottom of the drawers. I have a few of them, but I think that the plain drawers that let me store a complete cylinder tube and record together wins out every time.

Tony K.
I agree. The cabinets that hold the records in boxes are the best, totally open no, clamps or anything like that. Half of my record cabinets are empty because
- I don't want to remove cylinders from thier original boxes
- Cabinet has clamps for 4 min wax boxes, the only ones that fit
- In the Early Amberolas, measurements were so tight that not all records in original boxes fit. For example, 2 minute wax boxes will not fit in some Amberola 1As etcetera.

TAE, what a mess you had there!