An odd Sonora

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: An odd Sonora

Post by Curt A »

I think that the "gold" color is simply due to bad photo processing after the fact and maybe some strange lighting... If you look at the top of the backdrop in the original pic, it has a reddish cast to it, when it is obviously charcoal or black. The shadow under the machine also has a gold cast, which should be gray.

Also, the inside of the lid is obviously red mahogany, except the inside directly behind the reproducer has a funny reflection which appears to be from over manipulation of the original image or a strange reflection. The cabinet itself appears to be an even color, but looks like it is reflecting years of cigarette smoke or just grunge.

I tried to take some of the saturation out of the pic to see the backdrop as charcoal and the cabinet has a definite mahogany wood grain showing through the grunge. No matter what, a Sonora Grand is definitely worth $800, in this condition, which is not bad.
Attachments
Sonora-a.jpg
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

I once owned this machine in American Walnut. I have a hard time figuring how the gold could be so evenly spread out over the carvings and trims from a reflection, yet if you look at it the wood is showing though pretty much on the lower parts of the cabinet which wouldn't seem to be the case if it were sprayed. Granted it looks like someone took some gold finish too it, but if they did why would they only do the rear panel of the lid and not the rest? Either way these are highly sought out machines and I should have kept mine..

Larry

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

The finish has possibly developed a slight surface bloom which gave an opaque look under the flash.

Retrograde
Victor III

Post by Retrograde »

LINK to completed ebay auction page.