Picked up an Edison Standard D

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Picked up an Edison Standard D

Post by phonogfp »

Same here - - no gap or rubber feet were included. From the bottom edge of the cabinet to the top surface of the bedplate. I wouldn't have believed it either!

George P.

martinola
Victor III

Post by martinola »

Hi George - I understand your irritation of the Frow nomenclature. When I was setting up my data sheet, I did try to come up with better descriptions of the different case styles, but I chose the path of least resistance and went with Frow's naming. Initially your "low molding" description threw me because I don't think of it so much as molding as I do a baseboard with a shaped (or routered) edge. The Late style cases, as you know, had a very different bottom and the "tall" or "wide" molding really is just an applied molding. Thanks for providing the explanatory note. By the way, you asked earlier about the cut-off for the Banner decals earlier and I completely forgot to answer that. The last likely Banner case I've seen is 340884.

antique1973 - don't let us bully you too much. We all like to get in on the excitement of somebody getting a new machine. (Or at least I do.) Anyway, I'm eagerly looking forward to any updates and photo you'd care to post.

By the way again - anybody that would care to have a copy of the excel file of Standard serial numbers, just PM me with your email and I'll send it along.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Thanks, Martin, for generously providing the results of your research. You're right about the "low molding" not really being molding, but rather a routed baseboard. I'd gladly change my anal-retentive nomenclature to "routed baseboard" and "applied molding!" I'm not kidding - - I'm probably over-concerned about accurate language. (Is anyone else put off by the term "Native American?")

Martin, what do make of the height variations between/among these Bs and Ds? That blindsided me...

George P.

martinola
Victor III

Post by martinola »

Martin, what do make of the height variations between/among these Bs and Ds? That blindsided me...
I think I knew about that at one point, but quite forgot it. I think the height reduction is due to the missing baseboad on the Late case. Perhaps this was an esthetic choice. (The cynic in me suggests that it was the cheaper choice.)

BTW: Don't change your nomenclature until we can come up with names of one or two syllables! :D

antique1973
Victor IV
Personal Text: Victor Z, Victrola 4-3

Post by antique1973 »

antique1973 - don't let us bully you too much. We all like to get in on the excitement of somebody getting a new machine. (Or at least I do.) Anyway, I'm eagerly looking forward to any updates and photo you'd care to post.

Not at all Martin! I greatly appreciate being informed about my new finds so that I can
take the proper course of action. I am quite excited to get my horn set up and will
definitely keep you posted with updates.