ANSWER A QUESTION. ASK A QUESTION.

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: ANSWER A QUESTION. ASK A QUESTION.

Post by Jerry B. »

Has anybody ever had to un-bend a warped record or horn door, and if so, how was it done?

I had a Columbia BN with bad veneer on the top. I didn't notice that it was warped but I used a heat gun to remove the remainder of the bad veneer. When the old veneer was totally removed the top was definitely not flat. I glued new veneer, put the top between two slightly larger pieces of plywood and parked the car on top for a week. That seemed to work. Jerry B.

Phonolair
Victor III

Post by Phonolair »

FloridaClay wrote:What is the machine in the number one place on your "I've always wanted one" bucket list?Clay
I think a Mahogany Gem would be nice to have, as of yet I have not had a chance to buy one.

Question, Is your collection forever, (as in die with it) or would you like to see it liquidated before you go.

Personally I would like to see my collection liquidated, I think it would be fun to see who gets what and for what price.

Best Regards, Larry

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

Jerry B. wrote:Has anybody ever had to un-bend a warped record or horn door, and if so, how was it done?

I had a Columbia BN with bad veneer on the top. I didn't notice that it was warped but I used a heat gun to remove the remainder of the bad veneer. When the old veneer was totally removed the top was definitely not flat. I glued new veneer, put the top between two slightly larger pieces of plywood and parked the car on top for a week. That seemed to work. Jerry B.
Love that solution Jerry!

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Question, Is your collection forever, (as in die with it) or would you like to see it liquidated before you go.

Personally I would like to see my collection liquidated, I think it would be fun to see who gets what and for what price.
That I'm afraid, can be someone elses nightmare lol.
Apart from my 50+ machines, 10,000 78rpm discs, & 500+ cylinder collection, I also collect pretty much anything from the 1850's to 1950's, and have accumulated enough junk to completely fill my large 2 storey home, including the double garage and a 20 x 20 shed out back.
Whether it all gets sold off or used for landfill, I do not know, but I'll be oblivious to whatever happens to it all once Im dead, so not my problem :)
I don't see the point in selling it off before I die. I'd only go spend the money on more junk lol.

Q- What is the highest "mould number" in your BA cylinder collection?
Mine is mould no.227 on rec no.1547, Silver Threads Among The Gold by Will Oakland.
I'd love to see sales figures for that cylinder. It must have been one of the few Edison cylinders to sell over a million copies.

PHONOMIKE
Victor III

Post by PHONOMIKE »

gramophoneshane wrote:

Q- What is the highest "mould number" in your BA cylinder collection?
I guess not many know what a mould number is or have a BA cylinder collection (including me) so I'm going to try and get this kick started again.

What is one of the nicest things/favors a member has done for you? Don't have to mention the member, just the favor.

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

I bought a handsome Paillard-made portable in first-class condition, except that someone had replaced the original reproducer with a Brunswick. I put up a wanted notice in the Yankee Trader section asking if anyone had one for sale. A member had one, NOS and still in the original box, and sent it to me at no charge. Very gracious.

If circumstances should require that you had to sell your phonograph collection and could only keep one, what would that one be?

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

FloridaClay wrote: If circumstances should require that you had to sell your phonograph collection and could only keep one, what would that one be?
Clay
Our Model B Home Phonograph that originally belonged to my wife's Great Grandmother. Till death do we part... ;)

Will you be going to Wayne?

fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

phonogal
Victor IV
Personal Text: Life's Short. Be Happy!

Post by phonogal »

If I could only keep one, I would keep my Triumph D2. With the Model O and Model B reproducer I can play any of the cylinders in my collection and they all sound good.

What is the greatest distance you have traveled to buy a phonograph (not counting phonograph shows) and what was it?

phonogal
Victor IV
Personal Text: Life's Short. Be Happy!

Post by phonogal »

Sorry Fran. i guess i was typing my answer when you were typing yours. I'm just slower. Jan

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

phonogal wrote:Sorry Fran. i guess i was typing my answer when you were typing yours. I'm just slower. Jan
That's okay, Jan, gives folks a chance to answer either or both. :D

Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.