Standard D problem

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Standard D problem

Post by Jerry B. »

The thread on the Home B problem got me thinking about a problem machine in my basement. It's a Standard D. I removed the pot metal bearing and installed a brass bushing. When I tried to start the machine, it would not start on its own so I helped it get started but it did not regulate properly. I disconnected the belt and the top works moved freely. With the belt disconnected, I wound the motor but when I tried to start the motor, it would not start on its own. Today I plan to:
remove the governor.
check to see if there is a slight bend in the pins.
clean and oil the bushings.
loosen the screws at each end of the governor springs.
with a slight amount of pressure on the governor wheel, tighten the screws. (make sure the governor springs are identical)
oil the governor assembly.
I'll try different positions for the governor on the governor shaft.
DOES ANYONE HAVE OTHER SUGGESTIONS??? Thanks, Jerry

kirtley2012
Victor IV
Personal Text: Buyer of broken things

Re: Standard D problem

Post by kirtley2012 »

Make sure you didn't knock anything out of adjustment or bend anything when you changed the bearing!

dutchman
Victor IV

Post by dutchman »

I recall over the years movng the gov shaft within its bearings. Mainly to cure motors that didn't want to start running on their own. As you are aware this procedure is to be performed with extreme caution.......ask me how I know.... :oops:

Andersun
Victor III

Post by Andersun »

Jerry,
It really sounds like one of your governor pins is bent. Remove the pins and governor. Set the governor on the pin while holding the pin and spin the governor. If it wobbles, your pin is bent. Check both pins. You can straiten the pin by bending it in the pin bearing with pliers.

Also make sure your lower belt pulley is not rubbing against anything and that the shaft it is on is not bent.

Steve

Lenoirstreetguy
Victor IV

Post by Lenoirstreetguy »

I have a fussy Model D Stadard that took to fluttering but not consistently. I did the regular drill that everyone has mentioned and the speed still wobbled from time to time. The problem turned out to be he belt tension idler lever. It had shifted enough that it rubbed on the lower belt pulley but only occasionally. Once it was adjusted all was well.

JRT

Amberola 1-A
Victor II

Post by Amberola 1-A »

I'd suggest checking all of the brass pinions on the arbors. If they are worn, this would cause a non-start when letting off the on/off lever.
Check with your dealer for the latest Edison Records!

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Thanks for all the suggestions. I replaced one female end bushings on the governor. I disassembled the governor, applied a little pressure to the wheel and tightened all the screws to make sure the weights worked in unison. When I reassembled the governor, I moved it slightly on the shaft. The old belt seemed too stiff so I made a new one. The machine plays and regulates properly and I am one happy phono nerd. Thanks, Jerry Blais