Found a nice project machine over Thanksgiving.

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Chilesave
Victor II

Found a nice project machine over Thanksgiving.

Post by Chilesave »

Bought this at auction today. Motor works, reproducer is good. It was put in the basement years ago, pot metal bearing is swollen. Case is not broken but needs regluing. Should be a lot of fun!
Attachments
fi70.jpg
fi70.jpg (44.61 KiB) Viewed 1476 times
fi56.jpg
fi56.jpg (44.06 KiB) Viewed 1476 times
fi55.jpg
fi55.jpg (39.55 KiB) Viewed 1476 times

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Re: Found a nice project machine over Thanksgiving.

Post by FloridaClay »

That should keep you busy and out of mischief for awhile. :)

Post some progress pics now and then.

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

dutchman
Victor IV

Post by dutchman »

Great project, I'm with you, love to rescue abandoned, neglected machines. Have fun.............

bob27556
Victor I

Post by bob27556 »

Rod Lauman of the Victrola Repair Service did some superb nickle plating for me about 5 years ago. I was restoring an Edison Standard 'A' that was in similar condition. He did not fully polish the plating but left it slightly dull. Even considering some of the pitting, it still looks very good.

Chilesave
Victor II

Post by Chilesave »

What is the best way to get the swollen bearing out without damaging anything else? Any help is much appreciated.

kirtley2012
Victor IV
Personal Text: Buyer of broken things

Post by kirtley2012 »

I have heard of people getting a drill bit slightly bigger than the inside of the bearing then simply "reaming" the original bearing whilst still in the casting, I haven't done this myself

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Last time this question was asked, someone recommended using muriatic acid, which apparently dissolves the pot metal, but I've never tried it myself.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

I once used a hacksaw to carefully slice the bearing at the bottom. Simply disconnect the blade, then reassemble with the blade through the hole in the bearing. The pot metal is soft, so it cuts easily; be careful not to shoot through into the cast iron. The best route is to saw down until just a sliver of bearing remains. Then give it a tap with a hammer and punch. The pot metal should give way with no problem.

George P.

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

The BEST way is to send it to George Vollema! ;)
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

Kirtley, the real problem, which wasn't directly mentioned, is to remove the mandrel and shaft from the potmetal bearing. Once you do that, getting the bearing out of the casting is easy. You can chop it out by several methods as long as you don't break the cast iron post.

I did a standard D a few years ago and I ended up adapting a bearing puller so that I could push the mandrel shaft out of the post. I rigged it so that I was applying pressure between the pulley end of the shaft and the mandrel side of the cast iron bearing support post. Even with heavy duty equipment, it was a real job to drive out the shaft. At the time, I hadn't heard about muriatic acid or I would have tried it.

Jim