Period Pictures of Phonographs?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Period Pictures of Phonographs?

Post by phonogfp »

Some appealing images - thanks to all who posted these. :)

George P.

ColoradoPhonograf
Victor II

Post by ColoradoPhonograf »

Valecnik wrote:Some very nice photos there.

The photo of the guys around the beer keg on which is written "Nazdar 1911" is particularly interesing. Nazdar means hello or greetings in Czech. Probably a group of immigrants had that picture taken so copies could be sent back to family in Bohemia, part of Austria-Hungary at the time. Do you know where that was taken?
Bruce,
Thanks for the information that this is a photo from the Czech region. Here is a photo of what is written on the back of it. Thanks
DSCN0856.JPG

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

ColoradoPhonograf wrote:
Valecnik wrote:Some very nice photos there.

The photo of the guys around the beer keg on which is written "Nazdar 1911" is particularly interesing. Nazdar means hello or greetings in Czech. Probably a group of immigrants had that picture taken so copies could be sent back to family in Bohemia, part of Austria-Hungary at the time. Do you know where that was taken?
Bruce,
Thanks for the information that this is a photo from the Czech region. Here is a photo of what is written on the back of it. Thanks
DSCN0856.JPG

Thanks Darold, very interesting! On the back is written, "Brother-in-law Anton Janaček and his friends."

Looking at this more closely, I'm pretty sure that picture was taken in Bohemia and sent to relatives in the US, not the other way around. I say that because of the architecture of the building, looks like a 19th century stone, brick farm house, the German phonograph, and the newspaper which appears to say 1st of May in German. German was the official language at that time. Those porcelian capped beer bottles and the beer steins are also typically Czech but at least similar bottles were probably used in the US at that time. Very interesting indeed. Thanks for posting!

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

I totally forgot I had this large mounted picture. I came across it tonight in a binder when I was looking for something else. One of the great things about this is that the machine that is barely visible in the lower left corner is an Auxetophone.
Attachments
phonograph-store_edited-1.png

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Every machine in these pictures was once somebody's prized possession, and it shows. This Victor stands centre stage whilst it's proud owners and their cats look on. I wonder what they were listening to from that pile of records on the floor. Pussy Cat Rag?
Attachments
cats.jpg

Victor A
Victor I
Personal Text: "Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?" - Graham Chapman

Post by Victor A »

That is an awesome photo! I always like seeing records as well as machines in period photos.
SOUSA, The March King, says:

"Your 'VICTOR' and 'MONARCH' Records are all right."

Viva-voce
Victor III

Post by Viva-voce »

Yes that photo is the cat's meow hahaha....(sorry, couldn't help myself)
I'm wondering if that is a Victor IV? The front of it sure looks that way. Can anyone tell for sure?

It is a great photo.

And I can't help noticing that the woman in the photo looks like my Uncle Dave in drag LOL

Steven

Hit of the Week
Victor I

Post by Hit of the Week »

I agree, looks like a IV..........Great photos!

Iowa Dale

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

This is not my image, but I did run into it tonight while searching around the internet. I thought it was pretty great, though not a very good quality photo copy.