Edison Amberola 75

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Torjazzer
Victor II

Re: Edison Amberola 75

Post by Torjazzer »

Mr Grumpy wrote:Being from the Toronto area myself, I think I know of the machine you're interested in. I wanted to make an offer on it when I first saw it but my other (better?) half talked me out of it.

I thought the cabinet might be in need of a clean-up but if it runs well then I'd go for it. I just got an Amberola 50 and have learned a lot about the cylinder machines in just the span of a few weeks. Taking it apart and putting it back together as well as the countless threads on this forum have helped incredibly. Now I just need some cylinders to listen to, I only have an Uncle Josh cylinder which was amusing the first 8 times I listened to it... now, not so much.
The one with 75 records? That's the one. I don't mind working/learning on the mechanics but if the cabinet needs major work, it's a NO for me.

Mr Grumpy
Victor III

Post by Mr Grumpy »

Torjazzer wrote:
Mr Grumpy wrote:Being from the Toronto area myself, I think I know of the machine you're interested in. I wanted to make an offer on it when I first saw it but my other (better?) half talked me out of it.

I thought the cabinet might be in need of a clean-up but if it runs well then I'd go for it. I just got an Amberola 50 and have learned a lot about the cylinder machines in just the span of a few weeks. Taking it apart and putting it back together as well as the countless threads on this forum have helped incredibly. Now I just need some cylinders to listen to, I only have an Uncle Josh cylinder which was amusing the first 8 times I listened to it... now, not so much.
The one with 75 records? That's the one. I don't mind working/learning on the mechanics but if the cabinet needs major work, it's a NO for me.
Yes, that's the one. I never actually went to see it so am not sure of the exact condition of the cabinet. After having the Amberola 50 for two weeks I know I would have rather had a 75. It's difficult to find a table or pedestal in my dining room that will accommodate the depth of the machine and not having cylinder storage really hurts. Not that I'm having trouble storing my Uncle Josh Cylinder, just thinking about what the future could hold.
Vince
Youtube

Torjazzer
Victor II

Post by Torjazzer »

Mr Grumpy wrote:
Torjazzer wrote:

Yes, that's the one. I never actually went to see it so am not sure of the exact condition of the cabinet. After having the Amberola 50 for two weeks I know I would have rather had a 75. It's difficult to find a table or pedestal in my dining room that will accommodate the depth of the machine and not having cylinder storage really hurts. Not that I'm having trouble storing my Uncle Josh Cylinder, just thinking about what the future could hold.
Did you join CAPS? Last auction there were a lot of 4-min cylinders in boxes that went for VERY low prices.

Mr Grumpy
Victor III

Post by Mr Grumpy »

Torjazzer wrote: Did you join CAPS? Last auction there were a lot of 4-min cylinders in boxes that went for VERY low prices.
I'm joining in the new year and going to the meeting in January. Looking forward to it!
Vince
Youtube

Torjazzer
Victor II

Post by Torjazzer »

Mr Grumpy wrote:
Torjazzer wrote:
I'm joining in the new year and going to the meeting in January. Looking forward to it!
Good man. You won't regret it. The auctions are great for records, machines and parts, and the talks are very informative. Hope to see you.

pughphonos
Victor III
Personal Text: Ms. Pugh

Post by pughphonos »

Torjazzer, I note your comment above about cabinet problems on an Amberola being a non-starter for you. I agree. The veneering on many of the Amberolas was simply horrible. I first owned a 30, then upgraded to a 50. The veneering on the 50 was much, much better, but still a rather plain machine. As for audio quality, I found the 50 to be quite acceptable and kept it for four years. As the vast majority of surviving cylinders are 4 minute plastics, you'll be in business with an Amberola. But yes, no reason to saddle yourself with cabinet problems right off.
"You must serve music, because music is so enormous and can envelop you into such a state of perpetual anxiety and torture--but it is our first and main duty"
-- Maria Callas, 1968 interview.

Torjazzer
Victor II

Post by Torjazzer »

pughphonos wrote:Torjazzer, I note your comment above about cabinet problems on an Amberola being a non-starter for you. I agree. The veneering on many of the Amberolas was simply horrible....no reason to saddle yourself with cabinet problems right off.
I've had too much heartache over my v-XVI L-door. After spending hours on the cabinet, it looks much the same as when I started. If the machine in question is still around in the new year I might have a look but the cabinet is a deal-breaker. What I've learned so far is that broken machine parts can be replaced but cabinets are a different ball game.

barnettrp21122
Victor IV
Personal Text: "Did you ever stop to think that pleasure is a duty?" (Victor sales pamphlet)

Post by barnettrp21122 »

Most mahagony 75s I've seen (including mine) will have the typical Edison thick alligatored finish, which looks fine when it's cleaned and left alone. Many I've come across have been refinished with varying results, but in my opinion, unless the original finish has already been altered, it's best to respect it for what it is: a genuine antique nearly a hundred years old!
Amberola oak finishes, unless damaged, seem to fare better from what I've seen.
Bob
"Comparison is the thief of joy" Theodore Roosevelt

His Master's Voice Automatic 1A Exponential Gramophone Demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi70G1Rzqpo