Victor II

Featured Phonograph № 10

Post by Amberola 1-A »

Make: EDISON
Model: AMBEROLA III
Serial # 476
Years: 1912-1915 (approx.)
Original Cost: $125.00
Case/Cabinet Size: Height 44½ in. x Base 20¼ in. x 20¼ in.
Turntable/Mandrel: Mandrel 4¾ in. long
Reproducer: Diamond Mod A.
Motor: Double spring traversing mandrel under a fixed Reproducer
Horn Dimensions: 15" x 11" woodgrained sheetmetal
Repro Parts: None
Current Value: unk.
Interesting Facts: One of three machines that utilized what is called the Opera motor, the other being the Amberola 1-B. This particular machine has a B designation stamped in a Model block in the lower right of the I.D. plate. Quite possibly to designate a machine made after the fire of Dec. 1914.

Image Image
Check with your dealer for the latest Edison Records!

solophoneman
Victor II

Re: Featured Phonograph № 10

Post by solophoneman »

That is a super wonderful and rare addition to anyone's collection, and in fabulous original condition as well. I am sure it plays and sounds as good as it looks. Thanks for posting it.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Great looking machine. The Amberola III is one of my favorites. I'm not sure about your theory on the "B" indicating production after the fire. I'm guessing that it has to do with denoting the type "B" Mechanism as opposed to the "A" of the Amberola 1A.

Is there something stamped on the straight edge? The SN on my Oak III is SM1293. On the straight edge is stamped 1286-B3. I'll see if I can't dig up a good picture of the SN plate.

Also have a look at the SN plate on my 1B,

http://bojo.cz/phonograph/edison/pages/ ... B%204.html

It has the "B" stamped on the SN plate too. The SN is 3945 and 358-B3 is stamped on the straight edge. :?

Amberola 1-A
Victor II

Post by Amberola 1-A »

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for the info. The B designation theory was just a supposition on my part, The few Amberola IIIs that I've seen didn't have that model block down in the lower right of the bed plate for the B stamp and had the earlier Amberola decal in the lid. Mine has the Edison script decal as found in the Diamond Disc machines.
BTW, the number stamped on the front rail of mine is #476-3B and matches the number on the I.D. plate.

Bill

Amberola 1-A
Victor II

Post by Amberola 1-A »

Hi Bruce,

I just checked the I.D. plate on my Opera and it has "A" stamped in the model block in the lower right corner. Except for the horn stanchion, I don't know of any difference between the two motors. Anyone have any info?

:clover:

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Some thoughts.

The first Amberolas (the 1A were) were just marked as Model A. So when the second Amberola came out it was simply labelled ast the Model B. The Amberolas 1's I recall seeing have only been stamped with an A or B. There's not a "1" on the tag I don't think. I think Opera's were always marked as "Model A" denoting them as the first version of the Opera.

Using that logic one would assume your Amberola III would also be marked as an "A", as the first version of the III.

Somewhere during this time the Edison people changed their identification scheme. Your III is noted to be a Model B" and it's a very early serial no. Mine (picture of tag below) is simply noted as a "III" and there's no provision on the tag for any model number.

I guess we just need to wait for someone who knows more about it to enlighten us :?:

I also posted a picture below showing the number on a raised plate, just below the straight edge fyi.
Attachments
IMG_0359.JPG
IMG_0359.JPG (37.06 KiB) Viewed 6218 times
IMG_0357.JPG
IMG_0357.JPG (54.81 KiB) Viewed 6218 times

Valecnik
Victor VI

Post by Valecnik »

Amberola 1-A wrote:Hi Bruce,

Thanks for the info. The B designation theory was just a supposition on my part, The few Amberola IIIs that I've seen didn't have that model block down in the lower right of the bed plate for the B stamp and had the earlier Amberola decal in the lid. Mine has the Edison script decal as found in the Diamond Disc machines.
BTW, the number stamped on the front rail of mine is #476-3B and matches the number on the I.D. plate.

Bill
PS: Mine also has the Edison script decal, not the fancy decal. Another odd inconsistency is that the number below the rail on mine ends in "3B" while you say yours ends in "B3". Go figure!

Amberola 1-A
Victor II

Post by Amberola 1-A »

Valecnik wrote: PS: Mine also has the Edison script decal, not the fancy decal. Another odd inconsistency is that the number below the rail on mine ends in "3B" while you say yours ends in "B3". Go figure!
Bruce,

My bad. I had the number & letter transposed. It's the same set-up as yours. Here is a pic of the motor serial # on the III. I wouldn't be surprised that when they used up all earlier color Amberola decals, they went to the Edison script to save money! BTW, as you mentioned, my 1-A only has the model "A" stamped in the lower right box and the serial number above. I don't have any letter designation in the box in front of the rail though, just the serial #.

WDC
Victor IV

Post by WDC »

That's indeed a very nice and handsome machine. I really wish I had space left for one of these.

Amberola 1-A
Victor II

Post by Amberola 1-A »

WDC wrote:That's indeed a very nice and handsome machine. I really wish I had space left for one of these.
Thanks, Norman. You could always put all the uprights together with the lids down and put a mattress on top. A pseudo Murphy bed!