Mysterious Edison style machine on ebay

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
WDC
Victor IV

Mysterious Edison style machine on ebay

Post by WDC »

I just stumbled over this German auction of a cylinder phonograph that I am totally unable to identify at all. The seller says that there is no company tag, however it does look somewhat like an intended Triumph or Home. Underneath the bedplate the unusual appearance is continued with an electric motor. Has anyone seen anything like it before or can provide an idea of what it could be?

I selected ebay.co.uk to have the system buttons in English language:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0323318652

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: Mysterious Edison style machine on ebay

Post by gramophoneshane »

Very cool! It's great to see unusual variations on the Edison machines, and the electric motor is an added bonus. Strange that no name is attached to the machine. You'd think either the motor or reproducer would be maked in some way. The reproducer doesn't really even look like what you'd expect to find on most European machines.
I wonder what voltage it runs?

Lenoirstreetguy
Victor IV

Post by Lenoirstreetguy »

I can't see how the motor is attached to the top mechanism. There doesn't seem to be a hole for the belt to go through : there must be, but I can't see it.
Jim

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

The picture of the bedplate/motorboard looks like it "might" have a hole at the back of the belt pulley, & the belt seems to come up on a 45 degree angle?
Still, if I was bidding I'd be asking for more photo's.

USlakeside
Victor III

Post by USlakeside »

Its oddly familiar as Edison, but not at all. Its similar to a piece in Jean Paul's collection in that its vaguely edison.
http://www3.sympatico.ca/jean-paul.agna ... knowng.htm

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

Here's a rough translation of the text from Google:

Here is a roll player Gramophone (Phonograph) with a beautiful multicolored funnel! Unfortunately, I can roll the player does not test. The cables do not see much confidence, because otherwise I just make something breaks.

Majestic appearance by the magnificent large funnel, the inside color is dark green with gold lines, the horn outside is dark green and orange with gold lines. No woodworm infestation on wooden box. A company I can not read out. The sound body is not complete, the needle is missing.

I once gegoogelt and gels, it really has electric motors prior to 1900 was that I was also surprised and must be so rare that it hardly anyone knows anything.

The housing has, despite his age, little wear, no woodworm infestation, no water. In this state the device is an absolute eye-catcher. Certainly it takes someone with some patience also back up and running.

Dimensions: 45 cm funnel diameter - length 55 cm - total length of the device about 75 cm and overall height about 76 cm

So do I sell this unit as defective and only for decoration.

Naturally, of course, I answer all questions to the best knowledge and belief.

Shipping and expensive shock with packing material such as styrofoam to protect packaged in 2 separate packages.

This is a private auction, therefore no warranty, no return and no exchange is possible and with the bids you hereby declares its consent. And now let's start - Have fun and success!

WDC
Victor IV

Post by WDC »

Thank you for all your opinions and suggestions, this one really puzzles me. The one from Jean-Paul Agnard looks indeed somewhat similar, although not in detail.
The seller just added some additional pictures. To me it looks like it was battery powered.