The Talking Machine Forum — For All Antique Phonographs & Recordings

It is currently Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Featured Phonograph No. 88
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:02 pm 
Offline
Victor V
User avatar
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:23 am
Posts: 2540
Location: NW Indiana B-19;VV-IV; VV-VI;VV-XVI; Edison Home B; Amberola 30; Col. BK; Magnola;
Maker: Edison
Model: B-19 (Chalet)
Years: 1919 (very few were made and sold until about 1923)
Original Cost: $95.00 UK price (according to Frow's book)
Case/Cabinet size: 20.5" h x 19 ¼" d x 21.5"
Turntable/Mandrel Size: 12"
Reproducer/Soundbox: Diamond Disc
Motor: Single Spring as in the A250
Horn Dimensions: No. 100
Repro Parts: Stylus, Reproducer Gaskets, Wool blend turntable felt)
Current Value Mint: Don’t know
Interesting Facts: See Below
Favorite Characteristics: See Below

This is the B-19 (Chalet), a table top machine. Mine is in natural finish with original decal. The nice part about this model is that it is a direct drive vs. the belt driven earlier B-80 etc. Edison sold these at or close to a loss in order to sell more records to those that could not afford a more expensive floor model. The machine cabinet is red gumwood, stained rouge or natural. The machine will play about 2 sides on a winding.


Attachments:
CHALET BRACKET 2.jpg
CHALET BRACKET 2.jpg [ 1.26 MiB | Viewed 2050 times ]
CHALET 2.jpg
CHALET 2.jpg [ 1.43 MiB | Viewed 2050 times ]
CHALET 1.jpg
CHALET 1.jpg [ 2.87 MiB | Viewed 2050 times ]


Last edited by Victrolacollector on Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Featured Phonograph No. 6
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:38 pm 
Offline
VTLA
User avatar
TMF Moderator
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:36 am
Posts: 2790
Location: Delaware
Thanks for sharing. I like these smaller DD machines, they show how difficult it was for Edison to create tabletop DD machines without infringing on Victor and Columbia patents.

BTW: This should actually be Featured Phonograph No 88. The recently updated No 5 was originally posted in 2009. Would you mind renaming this topic? Otherwise it gets really hard to find Featured Phonographs if numbers are being re-used.

Thanks
Andreas


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Featured Phonograph No. 6
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:41 pm 
Offline
Victor III
User avatar
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:01 pm
Posts: 778
Location: Somewhere over Never, Neverland
alang wrote:
Thanks for sharing. I like these smaller DD machines, they show how difficult it was for Edison to create tabletop DD machines without infringing on Victor and Columbia patents.

BTW: This should actually be Featured Phonograph No 88. The recently updated No 5 was originally posted in 2009. Would you mind renaming this topic? Otherwise it gets really hard to find Featured Phonographs if numbers are being re-used.

Thanks
Andreas


This brings up a question of mine... Does the acoustical quality degrade simply because a model is a tabletop versus being an upright (provided all other factors are equal)?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Featured Phonograph No. 88
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:41 pm 
Offline
Victor V
User avatar
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:23 am
Posts: 2540
Location: NW Indiana B-19;VV-IV; VV-VI;VV-XVI; Edison Home B; Amberola 30; Col. BK; Magnola;
As far as sound quality, it probably does not compete well with a Laboratory model or other machine using a larger horn. I think the Chalet provides more than ample volume for an apartment or home setting. The quality is good as any other machine using a standard Edison reproducer.

Although I like the larger machines with the double spring motors as I have been told they provide more plays per winding. All I can say is that I love the Chalet for its portability, I would have preferred to had the rouge color model, but you take what you can get.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Featured Phonograph No. 88
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:18 am 
Offline
Victor VI
User avatar
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:17 am
Posts: 3562
Location: Where there's "hamburger ALL OVER the highway"...
Victrolacollector wrote:
All I can say is that I love the Chalet for its portability.


Well, 'portability' is a relative term. Compared to a floor model, maybe… ;)

Bill


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Featured Phonograph No. 88
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:01 am 
Offline
Victor VI
User avatar
Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:28 pm
Posts: 3760
Location: Česká Republika
Victrolacollector wrote:
As far as sound quality, it probably does not compete well with a Laboratory model or other machine using a larger horn. I think the Chalet provides more than ample volume for an apartment or home setting. The quality is good as any other machine using a standard Edison reproducer.

Although I like the larger machines with the double spring motors as I have been told they provide more plays per winding. All I can say is that I love the Chalet for its portability, I would have preferred to had the rouge color model, but you take what you can get.



I would agree with you that in most settings, it would be hard to distinguish between the sound quality of the Chalet and a large upright Lab model. Certainly in a medium to smaller living room setting the Chalet will sound just fine and the single spring motor more than adequate. If you feel you need that extra cranking power, a second spring could be added but's really not necessary.

Válečník


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Curt A, Fish, Google [Bot], JerryVan and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Content © 2009-2020 by The Talking Machine Forum and the respective posters.
Americanized by Maël Soucaze.