Featured Phonograph No. 89 - Columbia BGT

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
gramophone78
Victor VI

Re: Featured Phonograph No. 89 - Columbia BGT

Post by gramophone78 »

Tinkerbell wrote:
gramophone78 wrote: Tinkerball wrote: I've missed the Featured Phonographs... :rose:

Why don't you post one then??. I don't think you have....???
Tinkerbell wrote: I might do that with my early (as in no model number) Brunswick, but the challenge is writing something up on a phonograph for which little historical information actually exists (other than what I was able to obtain from Mr. Wakeman).

Yes, yes???. You see it's not all about the machine. It's also how a machine was discovered. Seems to me your onto something there..... ;). Maybe Feature No.90...??.

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Tinkerbell wrote:
gramophone78 wrote: Tinkerball wrote: I've missed the Featured Phonographs... :rose:

I might do that with my early (as in no model number) Brunswick, but the challenge is writing something up on a phonograph for which little historical information actually exists (other than what I was able to obtain from Mr. Wakeman).

I, unfortunately, do not have an impressive or interesting collection compared with the majority of collectors. I have to live vicariously through the acquisitions of other collectors here on the forum. :rose:
One benefit of posting a featured phonograph is that often other members will give you information you didn't have before. So everyone benefits in the end with having another interesting phonograph documented. Go for it.

Andreas

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Exactly as Andreas says! You don't have to know all about it. Posting the pics will invite comments and additional information. :D

ChuckA
Victor III
Personal Text: Learn from the mistakes of others - You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Post by ChuckA »

Here are six of the seven Columbia tonearm machines.
I'm missing the hard to find BO. The BQ and BO did not use a "T" in the model name
as they were only available with the tone arm.

Top from left
BET -- BFT -- BGT

Bottom from left
BKT -- BVT -- BQ

I prefer the BGT with the 9 panel nickel horn, I tried an 11 panel but it overpowers the machine.
I have a BG also, with a nickel morning glory horn. The BET has an 8 panel horn, not sure if it's
factory Columbia or aftermarket but that's the way it came.

Chuck

schweg
Victor III

Post by schweg »

Chuck- That is a really nice group of Columbia's. Thanks for posting them.

Tinkerbell
Victor III

Post by Tinkerbell »

gramophone78 wrote:
Tinkerbell wrote:

Tinkerbell wrote: I might do that with my early (as in no model number) Brunswick, but the challenge is writing something up on a phonograph for which little historical information actually exists (other than what I was able to obtain from Mr. Wakeman).

Yes, yes???. You see it's not all about the machine. It's also how a machine was discovered. Seems to me your onto something there..... ;). Maybe Feature No.90...??.
I'll try to work on that this week so I can get it posted by the end of the week. As Mr. Wakeman is nearly the only authority in existence when it comes to the very early (pre-model) Brunswick models, I'll have to retrieve his information off my old desktop PC to incorporate.

Because I am also long overdue on my Brunswick Ultona reproducer to iPod conversion posting as well, perhaps I'll also try to get a video of that in action, too. (Never fear, I will resurrect the old thread and not taint this one with that material for the purists out there...) :rose: