Victrola 8-35 (1928) forgotten son of Credenza?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
chem_jv
Victor O

Re: Victrola 8-35 (1928) forgotten son of Credenza?

Post by chem_jv »

Yes, I use it all the time. I have a Radiola 18 that I play through it. When the Cardinals were in the World Series this year, I enjoyed listening to it on KMOX that way. At night I am able to pull in WSM out of Nashville as well. For fun, I have an AM transmitter that I plug into my computer and run my own radio station with, the look is just about priceless when I start playing Lady Gaga or the like.

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

Here are a few more pics of the 8-35 Victrola that show some details:

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

Is the turntable covering leather, or some sort of "leatherette" material?

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

It is some kind of leatherette or leather like material. I don't know how to tell the difference. All I know is it's definitely not felt, which Victrola seemed to stop using in 1928 on many phonographs. I do know it is original.

jukejunkie
Victor I

Post by jukejunkie »

Unique with the Library Books but not the only metal horn machine from 1928. Here is my VV 8-9 in original unrestored condition.
Attachments
IMG_0416.jpg
IMG_0418.jpg
IMG_0417.jpg
IMG_0419.jpg

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

The 8-9s are also quite handsome.

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

marcapra
Victor V

Post by marcapra »

Thanks for that information JukeJunkie. I never knew that 8-9s had a metal horn. It looks like a smaller version of the 8-35.

jukejunkie
Victor I

Post by jukejunkie »

Same size horn as far as I can tell just different case style.

mikejk
Victor II

Post by mikejk »

Beautiful machines gentlemen! I have only the three small models,4-3, 4-7, 4-20. Each of these do a remarkable job with a well recorded record, but would like one of the large one's just the same. Mike

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Post by Uncle Vanya »

jukejunkie wrote:Same size horn as far as I can tell just different case style.
The 5-1, 8-8, 8-9, 8-10, 8-35, 8-36 and the 10-35 all shared the same all-metal Orthophonic horn.

Here's a photo of my 8-35 in situ. The rather stilted arrangement is based on a Victor promotional photo, which demonstrates the features of the cabinet design; a recessed back which allows the machine top to be pushed against the wall while the bottom of the cabinet clears the base-board, two stationary surfaces, one on eaither side of the turntable area to allow for the placement of a lamp or bibelots, and a stationary area behind to lid to allow for the placement of a garniture or a clock.

The house that I'm currently restoring is a little Arts and Crafts bungalow with lots of oak trim in which the 8-35 will not work as well, and am looking for a little 8-9 to replace it. Both machines are rather scarce, unfortunately.