Featured Phonograph № 13

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
richardh

Featured Phonograph № 13

Post by richardh »

Make: His Masters Voice (UK Manufacture)
Model: Table Grand - Oak
Serial # N/A
Year(s) Made: Believed to be pre 1920, however actual date unknown
Original Cost: Unknown – although I purchased this in 1984 for £25
Case/Cabinet Size: 15” wide, 18” deep and 14” high
Turntable/Mandrel: 10 inches, covered in green felt (original)
Reproducer/Sound-Box: HMV Exhibition (currently unrestored)
Motor: HMV double spring
Horn Dimensions: internal horn
Reproduction Parts: None
Current Value: Unknown
Interesting Facts: The internal horn is not fully enclosed and the motor sits within it. Surprisingly there is minimal engine noise evident when in operation. The crank handle is hollow and the screw threads are inside it. This combined with the unusual speed control hint that this is an earlier machine of its type. This model also exhibits the earlier style of HMV logo (pictured below) which used to be my avatar. The outside finish on the machine has dulled and darkened however the inside of the machine is pristine golden oak. My favourite thing about this machine is that it was my first phonograph and although it won’t make the earth move, I wouldn’t sell it for the world.

Here is a short demo video of this machine in action.

RJ 8-)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jU4lnaUD-o[/youtube]
Attachments
1st jan09 027.JPG
1st jan09 026.JPG
1st jan09 023.JPG
1st jan09 039.JPG
1st jan09 038.JPG
1st jan09 034.JPG
1st jan09 032.JPG
1st jan09 022.JPG
1st jan09 021.JPG
1st jan09 020.JPG

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Re: Featured Phonograph № 13

Post by Valecnik »

Richard, The machine is incredibly clean. I don't think the outside being a bit more dark and dull than the inside is at all detrimental to it's character but if you did want to clean the outside, (without damaging the original finish at all)a little Kotton Klenser might do it. I would probably just leave it though.

The dealer decal on the back of the lid is nice. I think they also add alot to any machine. Do you happen to know anything about this company? It would be fun to find an old postcard of thier store front to keep with the machine.

Cheers, bruce

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

RJ,

Thanks for sharing this machine with us. It’s a very attractive little machine.
Valecnik wrote:Do you happen to know anything about this company?
Out of curiosity, I had attempted to research the dealer, who apparently also sold pianos, but there does not seem to be much information on H.G. Millier & Co. Perhaps one of our British members can tell us more.

Also, if anyone wanted to know the conversion, currently £25 is US $36.53.

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

bob27556
Victor I

Post by bob27556 »

Wow, Weston-Super-Mare, the memories come flooding back to when my son was very young and we were living on the outskirts of Bristol. We made many trips to Weston to enjoy the beach and the Leisure Pavillion on the Grand Pier. It had a ferris wheel, bumper cars, merry go round and loads of arcade games all of it inside the pavilloin. A great place to take kids. I just watched the video on You Tube as it was destroyed bt fire last July. A massive loss to the community. I don't know anything about the company that sold the phono but will ask a friend of mine in Bristol if he can find any info.

Just a bit of history, the Luftwaffe used Weston-Super-Mare as an approach fix for turning inland on bombing runs against the aircraft and engine factories located on the Filton airfield just north of Bristol during WW II.

Richard,

I think the different tones of the finish look good. I've got a VV-80 thats finished in the typical dark mahogany on the inside and much lighter on the outside. It's only an 80 but its one of my favorites. The video is also a nice addition. Thanks for posting it.

Bob

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

I see lettering on the horn slats as well- did the dealer make certain his name was visible with the lid closed?

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

estott wrote:I see lettering on the horn slats as well- did the dealer make certain his name was visible with the lid closed?
Wow good eye Estott. I did not notice that before. It certainly adds to the character of the machine. Apparently this dealer wanted to make sure that you did not forget his name.

richardh

Post by richardh »

Shane, neat record. I had heard that in the 40's and 50's there were recording booths (much like photo booths today) where you could cut a record and send it as a souvenir. I think on one side you made your own recording and on the other you had the pre-recorded message as in your video. Excellent. Thanks for posting that.

With regards the lettering on the slats - yes your both eagle eyed to spot that as I didn't do a close up of it as it is quite faint and I didn't think it would show up very well.

On one slat there is the dealers name and on the slat below is the address of the premises. I will check in a minute and post the details of that too. As far as I am aware the shop traded for many years and was still trading in the 1960's. It is now no longer in business.

As for W-S-M...its a great place and very close to where I lived as a child. This machine has spent most of its life within a stones throw of W-S-M.

RJ 8-)

richardh

Post by richardh »

Well I just checked and the wording on the slats is as follows:

H G Millier & Co

8 WARTERLOO STREET
WESTON-SUPER-MARE

Shane - interesting that this type of machine was marketed down under as a Model Zealand..also very appropriate considering where it is likely to end up! :D

Bob - interesting what you said about the German air force in WWII..... my uncle used to work at that airfield just outside Bristol during WWII. I remember he used to tell me about how they had huge underground bunkers for all the workers at the site....It was such a strategically important site for Allied air operations that the BBC would interrupt their broadcasts to play a certain tune to warn the airfield of german bombers heading that way. The crews were then allowed to go into the bunkers...however they often used to run out across the fields to take cover as one of the bunkers had previously suffered a direct hit and everyone inside was killed. After that they used to take their chances above ground.

RJ 8-)

B.B.B
Victor I

Post by B.B.B »

Lovely machine & me too must hail its cleanness! The wood looks stunning :)
It certainly has many things in common w/ the Victrola table tops.
Searching for The Sound

richardh

Post by richardh »

Thanks guys for all your comments....and there was I thinking that there wouldn't be anything to say about a humble table top machine :D

RJ 8-)