these things keep getting bigger and more elaborate

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
phonophan79
Victor IV

these things keep getting bigger and more elaborate

Post by phonophan79 »

These retro looking CD/cassette/turntable units seem to be growing bigger and more elaborate...

It started as something like...

then I came across this, a bigger and more elaborate unit with its own stand...
http://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/ele/1118282297.html

...and I posted a while back, they are even upright now...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0124952617

Now they are being sold with built-in CD Recorders... so you can use these units to convert your records and tapes to CD format.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0104669559

richardh

Re: these things keep getting bigger and more elaborate

Post by richardh »

I supose these all serve a purpose, but for me, well I prefer the real thing to play my vintage disks on or if I want to do a transfer a suitable turntable. I would doubt that the turntables in these machines have any kind of speed variation over and above the standard 33, 45 and 78. Given how often 78's are anything but that then some degree of speed variation is important.

These type of "retro" look record players are often seen for sale in the UK, it amazes me how often they are only offered with an LP stylus...even though the record deck will play 78's.

As I said, they serve a purpose, but they are not for me either in looks or funtionality.

RJ 8-)

Muad'dib
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Your Actions Prove Your Values.

Post by Muad'dib »

We sell one of these where I work and I can assure you they are overpriced junk. We charge $200.00 and the turn table itself is plastic and akin to something one might have paid $50.00 for when I was in Junior High.

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

I just saw this on Craigslist, and thought it fit the thread well, so...look below for another machine that I doubt anyone here would want. :D

— MordEth

[hr][/hr]

RCA Newport Antique Replica Victrola with Radio & CD Player — $75 (Jacksonville)

Reply to: sale-he6p4-1124245206@craigslist.org
Date: 2009-04-15, 6:49PM EDT

This nostalgic entertainment center is a beautiful antique reproduction of the old nostalgic RCA Victrola phonograph. The horn and turntable sit atop an octagonal wooden base. This vintage Victrola replica features an AM/FM digital radio, front loading CD player, 3 speed turntable record player, remote control, and an optional stand.

Turntable Features:
  • Real Wood Construction With Wood Veneer.
  • 3-Speed Turntable with Authentic Horn (Manual Stop).
  • Real Metal Horn (Brass Finish).
  • Plays 33⅓s, 45s, and 78s.
  • AM/FM Digital Radio.
  • Full Function CD Player (Drawer Type).
  • Special CD Functions: Repeat, Program.
  • LCD Backlit Display (For Tuning and CD Player).
  • Full Function Remote Control.
  • Built-In Dynamic Stereo Speakers (In Base).
  • Speakers: 3.5", 8 Ohm Dynamic Speakers x 2.
  • Max Output Power: 1.2 ~ 1.5 W x 2.
  • Built-in Transformer.

• It’s NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests.
Craigslist PostingID: 1124245206
Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

richardh

Post by richardh »

O.M.G. :shock:

Just when you thought they couldn't get any more tacky looking! :lol:

RJ 8-)

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

Did anyone actually make a legitimate octagonal phonograph/gramophone? (The only ones that I’ve seen were either crapophones or modern attempts at looking ‘vintage’, so I was wondering...)

I can’t say that I’ve seen an authentic machine with an octagonal shape.

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.