Attracting people to our hobby

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Damfino59
Victor II

Re: Attracting people to our hobby

Post by Damfino59 »

I think it is not fair to make generalizations about the 20 something generation. I have been employed at a community college for 22 years and have seen several generations of young people go through the college, as students and student workers. And just like the so called adults there are those who are great and those I wouldn't trust to guard a box of burnt out matches.

Also for a period of 3 years I was the advisor to the Anime Club. They referred to me as the "phonograph otaku".

I'm 54 now, and I do try to attract younger people to the hobby. It may not be with a acoustic phonograph, but I've introduced many to the wonders of vinyl and the turntable. And some may become interested in the 78 disc in their future of interest.

Also there are many younger people on YouTube with the same interests as us.

zenith82
Victor II

Post by zenith82 »

HisMastersVoice wrote:
zenith82 wrote:
My experience is that most of the young crowd who does this are the spoiled little rich kids. The ones whose parents make $250k plus a year and give them the $800 to get the new I-whatever. I don't know of anyone in their 20s who has that kind of play money that makes it on their own. Forget phonographs, most of the kids in that crowd refuse to change their own oil in their cars, cut their own grass, or do anything else in which they might get "dirty". If they get grease from a spring barrel on their $500 jacket, they'll have a meltdown!

Then again, maybe the kids in their 20s that I know are more responsible than most their age.
You may not want to generalize "the young crowd" too much. I am 26, my parent's do not give me any money, and I have 12 phonographs, and 7 classic cars (all of which I change the oil and fill with premium gas all on my own). You may want to reconsider your slightly offensive statement, since there are many other collectors my age (many are members here) that do the same.

You are right about not cutting the grass though, I pay a lawn crew to do that.
It wasn't intended to be offensive at all. It was merely an observation of what goes on in my area. Re-read the last sentence. My point was - I live in an area with one of the highest costs of living in the US. Most of the 20-somethings I know are college educated, most have decent jobs, yet they are having a hard time keeping their heads above the water. And none of them are wasting money on all of the latest "must have" gadgets. A lot of the ones around here that have all that stuff have had it handed to them. That was the only point I was trying to make.

I'm 32 - not all that much older than you. And I got into phonographs among other things when I was about 12 or so. I've had to listen to all of the "gloom and doom" of the future of all of my hobbies for almost 20 years.

Yamaphone
Victor O

Post by Yamaphone »

Here is one way to get young people interested in antique phonographs: start them early! Here is my Grandson Evan, age 3 months, admiring an early Edison Home Phonograph.

Dan Z.
Attachments
photo 4.JPG

obmcclintock
Victor I
Personal Text: What can be cranked turns my crank.

Post by obmcclintock »

Look at the look on Evans face!! I wonder if he is thinking, Wow Grandpa, that horn is bigger than I am?

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

Evan looks horrified. He'll probably never collect phonos.

obmcclintock
Victor I

Post by obmcclintock »

Maybe he can't do Edisons , maybe he's a victor man???

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

My third grader's attempt to expose 24 classmates to TAE and to the hobby:

Among the interesting facts she points out in the text, (sorry it's in Czech language)
- the first successful light bulb burned for only 40 hours
- when TAE died, the lights across the US were switched off for a short time in his honor
- after successfully inventing the cylinder phono, Edison later invented a disc machine
- Edison lights were made for Christmas trees
- He also invented a movie projector called Kinetoscope
Attachments
IMG_0119.JPG
Screen Shot 2014-02-25 at 7.03.49 AM.png
Screen Shot 2014-02-25 at 7.03.49 AM.png (558.64 KiB) Viewed 1416 times

obmcclintock
Victor I

Post by obmcclintock »

That is really great that your child is forming an interest in this. My wife's uncle was Czech. Great guy!!! Are machines plentiful in your country? Were there machines made in the Czech republic? My family was from Germany and Holland. There were German machines made but I have never seen any from the Netherlands. I like the picture that she made! Dave

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

obmcclintock wrote:That is really great that your child is forming an interest in this. My wife's uncle was Czech. Great guy!!! Are machines plentiful in your country? Were there machines made in the Czech republic? My family was from Germany and Holland. There were German machines made but I have never seen any from the Netherlands. I like the picture that she made! Dave

Thank you Dave. Most of the machines from that era sold in what is today the Czech Republic were of "Germanic" origin meaning probably manufactured in Germany or the Austro-Hungarian Empire which Czech was part of until 1918. Certainly Edison made recordings for the Czech Market, not many though. HMV or it's German affiliate also sold into the CZ market to some extent as can be demonstrated from period catalogues. When I get time, I'll post some pics from the Czech catalogues.

banjo_picker
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Can The Circle Be Unbroken?

Post by banjo_picker »

I am very new to this, but one way to get kids into it might be to make a family tradition of playing Christmas records at holiday time. There is something universally cool about hearing old Christmas carols played through a vintage machine. It will become a fond memory for any kid that grows up with it.