Attracting people to our hobby

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Re: Attracting people to our hobby

Post by Valecnik »

banjo_picker wrote:I am very new to this, but one way to get kids into it might be to make a family tradition of playing Christmas records at holiday time. There is something universally cool about hearing old Christmas carols played through a vintage machine. It will become a fond memory for any kid that grows up with it.
Agreed Banjo Picker. We try to do a bit of this every Christmas. Here's one from a few years back.

[youtubehq]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYWzhw2OC0k[/youtubehq]

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

Charming video.

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III
Personal Text: Started collecting in August 2020, small collection of records

Post by gunnarthefeisty »

I feel that this is certainly still a relevant thread. The argument that kids can't afford much isn't really true. My first machine (bought just about a year ago now that I think about it) cost be $20, a nice clean VV-35 with no handle. The second, a Brunswick Panatrope with no legs but in perfect working order, cost me $75. The third, a Silvertone that my great grandpa owned, was free. The only phonograph I've paid 3 figures for was my $350 Vic 3, and that's only because it's an outside horn machine and thus desirable. I think these days it's a lot easier to get into the hobby than it used to be due to dropping market prices.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Price is a factor only to a point. Desire is the main driver. People will find a way to pay for what they want. For instance, "young people" seem to be ever more interested in tattoos. The cost of some tattoos could easily buy a decent phonograph. I have seen twenty-somethings with tattoos of phonographs... but without owning an actual phonograph. "Ya' just gotta' wanna' " :)
Last edited by JerryVan on Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

dzavracky
Victor IV
Personal Text: college collector

Post by dzavracky »

I think a dislike for the music is the reason young people don't get into this hobby. My friends enjoy listening to them when they come over, but that's it for them.

David

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III
Personal Text: Started collecting in August 2020, small collection of records

Post by gunnarthefeisty »

dzavracky wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:05 pm I think a dislike for the music is the reason young people don't get into this hobby. My friends enjoy listening to them when they come over, but that's it for them.

David
that's definitely a factor. A lot of people aren't fans of the music, but those new video games with old music sure are helping. Probably helps that my parents enjoy the Andrews Sisters

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

gunnarthefeisty wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:45 pm
dzavracky wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:05 pm I think a dislike for the music is the reason young people don't get into this hobby. My friends enjoy listening to them when they come over, but that's it for them.

David
that's definitely a factor. A lot of people aren't fans of the music, but those new video games with old music sure are helping. Probably helps that my parents enjoy the Andrews Sisters
I agree games is what usually hooks some folks and gets them interested. Or maybe a movie with songs might get people interested. I shake my head when people sorta “shame” people and act real snobby because they heard something in a movie, TV show, or game. It’s better for them to get exposed to music that way than not at all!

It’s always gonna be niche and even more so with people of my generation and younger. Because we grew up during a time when ALL records in general were considered “old fashioned” because they weren’t CDs. And we didn’t have many relatives still living that might still had older machines and records pre-1940 because they had passed or were already in nursing homes and everything had been sold off at that point.

hbick2
Victor O

Post by hbick2 »

A close friend and a member of my band was a professor of early music at the University of Louisville, School of Music. Every year, I would bring a cylinder player with a horn, and a box of records, and play them for his class. They loved it. They liked hearing the music, hearing about early recordings techniques and were fascinated by the machine.

I would imagine there are lots of music teachers in high schools and colleges that would love to have someone come in and demonstrate a machine and play different kinds of music for the students.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

JerryVan wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:17 pm Price is a factor only to a point. Desire is the main driver. People will find a way to pay for what they want. For instance, "young people" seem to be ever more interested in tattoos. The cost of some tattooes could easily buy a decent phonograph. I have seen twenty-somethings with tattoos of phonographs... but without owning an actual phonograph. "Ya' just gotta' wanna' " :)
This is actually interesting from a cultural perspective as well as a collector's.
People like tattoos of things that are important to them--I think at this point in history that the phonograph has become an icon representing music and records, even to people who get their music from other sources. In 2021 that wooden box on the sideboard is no longer "a 1909 Victor III with brass-belled horn," it's now "A Phonograph," or "A Gramophone", or "A Victrola" because the technical details are less relevant--To most young people, the phonograph is a stock property of cultural iconography. They show up in games, in movies, in soundtracks. The thing is I don't believe people understand just how many of them are still around!

As for attaracting young people to the hobby: There are a lot of reasons these aren't super popular, and one of them (which I haven't seen too many people bring up) is the size of homes. Most young folks rent tiny apartments that cost too much. It might work to put a Victrola X in there or a creatively designed off-brand but not a massive Orthophonic.

I think, though, that windup phonographs would catch on. This forum has a definite younger presence.

dzavracky
Victor IV
Personal Text: college collector

Post by dzavracky »

Aaron wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:11 am Mostly i am back on the forum to procrastinate college homework, and let me tell you, i truly appreciate you all for that. :D

Aaron
I'm glad it's not just me :lol: :lol: :lol: I come here all the time to procrastinate doing my homework :? :oops:

David