Attracting people to our hobby

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
phonogal
Victor IV
Personal Text: Life's Short. Be Happy!

Attracting people to our hobby

Post by phonogal »

Was reading my MMD email yesterday and came across this suggestion from a member. I thought this was a great idea and wanted to pass it on here. He said whenever he visits a doctor's office, accountant's office, basically any place that has a waiting area and magazines, he takes along some of his old mechanical music journals and leaves them there. Has two benefits: just might spark interest in the machines and helps keep up with the clutter. It was also suggested that a note might be included with website information or maybe a youtube link. What do you all think?

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Attracting people to our hobby

Post by phonogfp »

I'm not giving away my journals! :)

George P.

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

Sounds like a good idea instead of throwing it away, but have you noticed that no one reads magazines or newspapers anymore. They are all talking on their cell phones or playing games on their cell phones.

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

I took a phonograph into work on Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve days.
Phones were whipped out to capture it, sharing the curiosity within their spheres. :)

James.

PS - What's paper? :monkey:
Here's an excellent example how the word gets around today...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9mAyiz3gmM
Timo Gramophone is one of our members.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Like several others on this forum, I am a classic car enthusiast.

Whenever I take part in an event I take a portable and a few jazz/dance records to play. The gramophone often attracts at least as much interest as the car, and last summer another car owner asked me to source a portable for him. He was delighted with the smart red machine I found, and even if he never buys another he has become part of our hobby.

If we want to attract newcomers to our hobby, there is no substitute for showing our collections to real people out there in the real world.

I also give occasional presentations to local groups, including the care home in which my 94 year old mother resides. Whilst there will not be any budding collectors in a care home, the medical profession welcomes anything which aids reminiscence among the elderly, and what could be better than voices from the past?

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

I've offered various times to loan some of my phonographs to a local historical society for display either in the main hall or in the pharmacy of their pioneer village. I've also offered to the local school here to bring in a few and do a lesson. So far no takers… In fact the school suggested I should contact a retirement home as there could be more interest there. That may well be the case and nothing wrong with that but as others have noted, not the best place to interest young people in the hobby…

I do think leaving periodicals places you visit is a good idea, if one can bear to part with them. In a few cases I've somehow ended up with duplicate copies of phono related publications and left them in the seat pocket of commercial airplanes.

zenith82
Victor II

Post by zenith82 »

Valecnik wrote:I've offered various times to loan some of my phonographs to a local historical society for display either in the main hall or in the pharmacy of their pioneer village. I've also offered to the local school here to bring in a few and do a lesson. So far no takers… In fact the school suggested I should contact a retirement home as there could be more interest there. That may well be the case and nothing wrong with that but as others have noted, not the best place to interest young people in the hobby…
God forbid the kids actually learn about something! We can't be having any of that! :lol:

I'd be careful about loaning out anything you cared about. I've heard some bad stories about loans that sustained heavy damage while in the "care" of their temporary custodians.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

good point Zenith82. Anytime one of these is moved there's some risk. Loaning them out is yet another risk and having them on public display somewhere heightens the risk further. A tough balance to strike.

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

I like the idea of leaving journals at doctors offices, but I hold on to all mine and keep them for references. It would be a great thing to do with duplicates, though.

I am involved with the Musical Box Society International (whose members collect all kinds of mechanical music machines, including antique phonographs). One thing we have found that seems to work the best is to put on shows at the same time another popular event is going on. Last December, we put on a small exhibit at The Villages, in Florida, at the same time that a model railroad show was taking place. The instruments exhibited included antique phonographs, as well as music boxes of all kinds, monkey organs, etc. We had several hundred people wander through over the course of 4 days. There were many questions about the instruments I brought, including a Columbia AH, and the children loved hearing "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town" on it.

http://mbsise.org/Inside%20Pages/2013_The_Villages.html

We put on these small shows from time to time. From November 13, 2010, through January 9, 2011, we put on a much bigger exhibit at the Orlando Science Center. More than 9,000 people attended in the course of those days. It included a number of phonographs as well as other instruments large and small.

http://mbsise.org/Inside%20Pages/Orland ... _2011.html

It can be a lot of work, but it is worth it. A major component of keeping the hobby alive is exposing it to the public. Most people now don't know our machines exist. Of course the interest of many will be fleeting at best when they are exposed to them, but some will be charmed by them, just as we were when we first caught the phonograph collecting bug.

Clay
Last edited by FloridaClay on Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

ambrola
Victor IV
Personal Text: Be Careful What You Say, You Can't T ake It Back!

Post by ambrola »

How many times have you guys had visitors and they don't even notice your phonographs? But every once in a while you get that person that wants to know everything about them. It blows my mind that I have these 100 year old players and people don't ask questions.