Attracting people to our hobby

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
zenith82
Victor II

Re: Attracting people to our hobby

Post by zenith82 »

alang wrote:
zenith82 wrote:
Starkton wrote:I know from an older poll that only 15% of the members of this forum are under 30. These few are the future of our hobby, because another poll shows that 85% of us bought their first phonograph or gramophone at the age of 29 or younger. I find this alarming and predict an unstoppable decline of our hobby.
I don't know anyone 29 or younger who can comfortably afford gas for their vehicles, let alone a hobby where the entry level machines are a couple hundred bucks and go up from there!
I know lots of people in that age group who can afford to camp outside an Apple store in their designer cloths only to be among the first to buy a new iPhone for 800 bucks - just to replace one that's a year old and works just fine. I understand that there are many who have a hard time affording a phonograph, but for many it's also about choices. And there are also cheaper ways to get into the hobby. There are still many uprights and consoles to be had for under 100$ if one is willing to invest some work into them. Of course these will not be VV-XVIIIs or Pooley's, but they work just the same and allow to play the records, enjoy the music, and learn for future better machines.

Andreas
My experience is that most of the young crowd who does this are the spoiled little rich kids. The ones whose parents make $250k plus a year and give them the $800 to get the new I-whatever. I don't know of anyone in their 20s who has that kind of play money that makes it on their own. Forget phonographs, most of the kids in that crowd refuse to change their own oil in their cars, cut their own grass, or do anything else in which they might get "dirty". If they get grease from a spring barrel on their $500 jacket, they'll have a meltdown!

Then again, maybe the kids in their 20s that I know are more responsible than most their age.

obmcclintock
Victor I
Personal Text: What can be cranked turns my crank.

Post by obmcclintock »

There are a lot of great kids out there. Some may have money and some may not but I don't think that money limits anything. Some of us collectors started out with no or very little money. I never changed my own oil but I did cut grass. I just had determination. That's the key. I encourage any young person to get their first machine and just let it grow from there. As has been said previously Victrolas are out there for not much money. Craigslist is a good source. It can be done!!!

Bruce
Victor III

Post by Bruce »

I think it is more of how we look at things, either the world is coming to an end (2012 came and went without an issue) or there are positives to be looked for and found. I recall being the subject of all this talk about brash, thoughtless kids, who selfishly played their loud music that none of the "older crowd" liked or understood, back in the 70's.

Frankly reading this thread has been more inspirational than a downer. I am not as active in my community as others who have joined this thread and like the idea and will en-devour to take every opportunity in the future to share our passion.

Just remember it does not have to be an organized event but taking advantage of every opportunity to share. From playing a "record" for the neighbour and his 5 yr old son or a collection of boarder guards. Back in 2006 when I first started collecting phonographs I was in Paris (a once in a lifetime trip) and purchased a Pathé cylinder machine. To keep it safe I packed it securely in a box to carry on the plane with me. Unfortunately I forgot about the new security measures and ran right into an ex-ray machine and 6 large French security officers. When they saw the ex-ray I was directed to open it up while in my limited French explain what it was. I was very fortunate that the seller had included a patriotic French anthem. By the time I finished the two minute cylinder I was surrounded by six very pleased officers with their Sgt wiping a tear from his face stating his grandmother used to have a Pathé. While he watched me repack he asked me for information on where I bought my new prize and I hope that he followed up with acquiring one of his own.

Besides, If our hobby is suffering a decline then why are prices staying high?

Bruce

zenith82
Victor II

Post by zenith82 »

Bruce wrote: Besides, If our hobby is suffering a decline then why are prices staying high?

Bruce
Now that is one of the best points I have heard. The prices of internal horn machines has slipped some, but I attribute that more to the economy and the fact that ebay and similar venues has coaxed a lot more of them out of hiding so there are always some on the market at a given time. I haven't seen too much movement in the prices of external horn machines.

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

zenith82 wrote:
My experience is that most of the young crowd who does this are the spoiled little rich kids. The ones whose parents make $250k plus a year and give them the $800 to get the new I-whatever. I don't know of anyone in their 20s who has that kind of play money that makes it on their own. Forget phonographs, most of the kids in that crowd refuse to change their own oil in their cars, cut their own grass, or do anything else in which they might get "dirty". If they get grease from a spring barrel on their $500 jacket, they'll have a meltdown!

Then again, maybe the kids in their 20s that I know are more responsible than most their age.
You may not want to generalize "the young crowd" too much. I am 26, my parent's do not give me any money, and I have 12 phonographs, and 7 classic cars (all of which I change the oil and fill with premium gas all on my own). You may want to reconsider your slightly offensive statement, since there are many other collectors my age (many are members here) that do the same.

You are right about not cutting the grass though, I pay a lawn crew to do that.

obmcclintock
Victor I

Post by obmcclintock »

YOU GO HMV !!!!!! At 26 I think I had maybe two machines however nothing exceptional. What machines do you have if I may ask?

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

obmcclintock wrote:YOU GO HMV !!!!!! At 26 I think I had maybe two machines however nothing exceptional. What machines do you have if I may ask?
Thank you! If I want something, I find a way to make it happen, and I always have to work for it. I think it's unfair to place limits on people because of age.

I have a Victor R, Victor III, Victrola 8-35, Pathéphone No. 2, HMV 102, Columbia Eagle, Columbia 160, Columbia Regent, Edison Standard D, Edison Amberola V, Edison C-4, Edison C-19, and a Mills Do-Re-Mi, if that counts.

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

HisMastersVoice wrote:
obmcclintock wrote:YOU GO HMV !!!!!! At 26 I think I had maybe two machines however nothing exceptional. What machines do you have if I may ask?
Thank you! If I want something, I find a way to make it happen, and I always have to work for it. I think it's unfair to place limits on people because of age.

I have a Victor R, Victor III, Victrola 8-35, Pathéphone No. 2, HMV 102, Columbia Eagle, Columbia 160, Columbia Regent, Edison Standard D, Edison Amberola V, Edison C-4, Edison C-19, and a Mills Do-Re-Mi, if that counts.
Nice collection HMV, and I believe about 99% of us here agree with your observation.

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

obmcclintock
Victor I

Post by obmcclintock »

VERY NICE COLLECTION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

zenith82 wrote:

I don't see the factual basis for your comment. Those of the young crowd I know who do this are of pretty average means. Some are already working. Some, as young as their early teens, have parents who give them money for their birthday or for Christmas. They might shovel your sidewalk or cut your grass to complement their birthday money so they have enough to get that Amberola 30 or Victrola VI. If we welcome them into the hobby they might in the future buy our Operas or Victor, Class Ms & Tinfoils.