Pathé Solophone Model 125 Plays a Demonstration Record

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Re: Pathé Solophone Model 125 Plays a Demonstration Record

Post by estott »

I've played a lot of american Pathé discs, they are inconsistent in quality. Sound ranges from clear and first rate to dim. I think the problems stem from their dubbing system.

solophoneman
Victor II

Post by solophoneman »

I should have mentioned a couple of unique features of the Pathé Solophone 125. Unlike other typical Pathé Uprights of that era, the Pathé Solophone has a large metal internal horn 14" wide. Also notice on the left side of the base of the Tone arm a small gold plated lever. This tiny lever moves in a semi circle to control an internal baffle that rotates inside the tone arm for (tone) volume Control. It is the only Phonograph I have seen with this sort of rotating baffle type arrangement for volume control.

richardh

Post by richardh »

solophoneman wrote: Also notice on the left side of the base of the Tone arm a small gold plated lever. This tiny lever moves in a semi circle to control an internal baffle that rotates inside the tone arm for (tone) volume Control. It is the only Phonograph I have seen with this sort of rotating baffle type arrangement for volume control.
Now that really is a neat gadget to have on an acoustic phonograph....I am amazed that others didn't follow that lead...ok I know Edison had his baffle ball and Victors had doors you could push closed but to actually have a valve built into the tone arm...a great way to control volume.

RJ 8-)

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

Perhaps, but both it and the Edison ball require you to adjust the volume with the lid open. I think being able to adjust it with the lid closed makes more sense.