Columiba Multiplex Grand

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
FloridaClay
Victor VI

Columiba Multiplex Grand

Post by FloridaClay »

Just watched the "An Evening with Charley Hummel" DVD from 2010. What is the rest of the story with the Columbia Multiplex Grand cylinder restoration? Was it ever finished? What was on the rest of it? Is there a place on line to listen to it if so? Have any other machines or cylinders turned up?

Couldn't find much about it via Google or in a site search here.

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Columiba Multiplex Grand

Post by phonogfp »

We showed a "Multiplex Grand" carriage with its three reproducers in The Talking Machine Compendium, but that and the two items shown on the DVD are the only traces of the machines/records that I'm aware of.

I'm likewise unaware of the present state of the restored Multiplex Grand cylinder, or what else was discovered on it.

I'm glad you enjoyed the DVD, Clay. :)

George P.

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

I did enjoy the DVD. Hummel is a very interesting guy to hear.

Clay
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

kendphono
Victor II

Post by kendphono »

I restored Charlie's Multiplex a couple of years ago and it was operating perfectly. I do not know if it is still operational. I did another for another person in the Northeast and when I delivered it, it to was fully operational. This type of machine is temperamental and needs periodic playing and adjustment. While I take still pictures of machines I restore, I generally do not take video. Here are a few pictures.

Ken Danckaert
Attachments
P1010066.JPG
DSC00540.JPG
P2250053.JPG
041.JPG

kendphono
Victor II

Post by kendphono »

Sorry, I missed the word "Grand" in "Multiplex Grand". That said, the Multiplex is still an interesting and rare machine.

Ken Danckaert

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Ken - I have sent you a PM.

George P.

Starkton
Victor IV

Post by Starkton »

FloridaClay wrote:Just watched the "An Evening with Charley Hummel" DVD from 2010. What is the rest of the story with the Columbia Multiplex Grand cylinder restoration?
As far as I know only one track is recorded on this cylinder. Where is the connection to the Multiplex Grand?

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

You'd need to watch the DVD for the whole story; however, the cylinder is enormous (much bigger than a normal 5" grand) and fits on one of the only two known surviving Multiplex Grand mandrels, so there is not much doubt as to what it is. When found the cylinder was in many pieces and at the time the DVD was made, they had only been able to get about the first quarter or so of it in playable condition and could only speculate about what was on the rest. The restorer was hoping to get it all in playable condition in time, but I have not to date heard whether he succeeded.

The Multiplex Grand cylinders could apparently be set up to play either several different songs, one after the other, or have 3 different tracks of the same song playing simultaneously with some sort of "stereo" effect. At least at the time the DVD was made, in 2010, it was the only known surviving Multiplex Grand cylinder and they seemed to think this one is of the first type.

You can get the DVD from the Antique Phonograph Society and it is well worth watching, both for the demonstration of the cylinder and for interesting stories about many years of antique phonograph collecting from Charley Hummel.

http://www.antiquephono.org/shop/

Clay

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special

Post by phonogfp »

"The Multiplex can be converted in an instant into A GRAPHOPHONE GRAND OF TRIPLE SIZE by using only one reproducer to cover the entire length of the cylinder. Special records may be had which will thus give a reproduction ten minutes long." - from a period flyer.

For those who don't own a copy of Phonographica (available here):
http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =9&t=15832
the Multiplex Grand is shown below...

George P.
Attachments
From "Phonographica" by Fabrizio & Paul.  All Rights Reserved.
From "Phonographica" by Fabrizio & Paul. All Rights Reserved.

Starkton
Victor IV

Post by Starkton »

phonogfp wrote:"The Multiplex can be converted in an instant into A GRAPHOPHONE GRAND OF TRIPLE SIZE by using only one reproducer to cover the entire length of the cylinder. Special records may be had which will thus give a reproduction ten minutes long." - from a period flyer.
Thank you George, this is convincing. What is the (estimated) playing time of Charley's cylinder?