Inventory of Beethoven and Schubert Edisonic phonographs

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
pughphonos
Victor III
Personal Text: Ms. Pugh

Re: Inventory of Beethoven and Schubert Edisonic phonographs

Post by pughphonos »

drh wrote:A Schubert from California has shown up on eBay; unfortunately, the photos do not include one of the data plate. I spotted it belatedly; at this point it has only 18 hours to go. It's drawn no bids, probably because the opening bid level is $1200...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Edison-Schuber ... SwwnlfJyY4
Gosh, a really nice-looking machine; spectacular finish and wood grain. Yes, too bad no serial number and too much to bid.
"You must serve music, because music is so enormous and can envelop you into such a state of perpetual anxiety and torture--but it is our first and main duty"
-- Maria Callas, 1968 interview.

pughphonos
Victor III
Personal Text: Ms. Pugh

Post by pughphonos »

phonosandradios wrote:I can't believe this thread has had almost 36,000 views!
In a way I'm not surprised at the 36,000 views. Most people still fundamentally need narratives, and this string provides them. It also supports research on particular machines and their prior ownership (like bird watching).

Finally, nice to see a bunch of the old crew from ca. 2014 still on here. Like the Buck Weaver character said to his young fans in the 1988 film classic "Eight Men Out": "Don't you guys never go home?"
"You must serve music, because music is so enormous and can envelop you into such a state of perpetual anxiety and torture--but it is our first and main duty"
-- Maria Callas, 1968 interview.

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

And my personal thanks to you, Pugh, for creating this treasure trove of Edisonic information that starts where Frow's book The Edison Disc Phonographs ends!

Rustuki
Victor Jr

Post by Rustuki »

As I recall, again (it's been 20 years at least since I opened the lids), both of the "needles" appeared to be the reproducer that you sent the photo of. I'll have to look to be sure. One is on the arm and one is on a clip at the back of the player cabinet. Is that a usual configuration? Other than an occasional dusting, it appeared to be as it was when it was purchased but maybe the original owner added the clip?

I will move all of my wife's knickknacks off the top, open the "old girl" up, and get some photos. The most interesting thing to me, other than the unit itself, was the newspaper advertisement that it appears it was ordered from and the other documentation.

As far as how I got the machine, as I briefly mentioned in my first post, I knew the original owner as a kid (we went to the same church) and my father purchased the unit at his estate sale after his passing in the mid 70's. (The original owner was an interesting character: he had a large home but chose to live at the church and work as a janitor, leaving his estate to the church. When they entered his home they found a Model-A and a Model-T car in the garage, as well as an antique Indian motorcycle, and many other curiosities, including my Beethoven, throughout the house.) The Beethoven was purchased on a whim, dad thought it was interesting, and paid around $300 for it (as I recall). It sat in our dining room until my father passed and mom decided the home I grew up in was too large for one person. There was some discussion of selling it when she moved but I jumped in and said I'd like to have it. So, it ended up in my living room in 1991 and has been there ever since.

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

When you said both of the reproducers were the same as picture that was sent, does that mean one of the was and Edisonic and the other one was a 78 adapter, or were both of them the same? By the way, an Edisonic is the name of the reproducer that came with the Beethoven, as well as the name of the machine itself. The Beethoven name just refers to the cabinet, and differentiates it from the smaller Schubert. Don't attempt to remove the grille to see the horn without following these instructions, or you will tear the cloth and possibly break the grille.

1. First remove the frame that goes around the motor board.
2. then remove the screws on the front of the grille.
3. Then remove the screws on top of the grille in the motor board area.
4. Then gently pull the grille up and out.

You don't have to do this of course. I'm just telling you now in case you decide to take the grille out for cleaning the inside, looking at the horn, or checking for the hidden stack of cash, etc.

Rustuki
Victor Jr

Post by Rustuki »

Thanks for the info on the reproducer. They appeared to be the original style, the lower photo you'd sent.

As far as disassembling anything on the unit, I don't plan to do anything with it at this point. I doubt anything has been disturbed since it was purchased so I'm not going to start now. I am a passive admirer.

marcapra
Victor V

Post by marcapra »

Mr. Rustuki, Since they are both Edison reproducers, this leads us to an interesting question. Are they both Edisonics, or is one a standard Edison? Does one of the reproducers say "LONG" on it? Does your turntable have a switch that says Long/Short to the right of the turntable? I'm showing you a pic of what an Edisonic reproducer looks like. A standard reproducer just has a skinnier weight. If you have a Long reproducer it is for playing the rare Edison Long Play records.
Attachments
Edisonic reproducer
Edisonic reproducer
Gold-Edison-Edisonic-Diamond-Disc-Phonograph-Reproducer-in.jpg (61.03 KiB) Viewed 1232 times

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

marcapra wrote:Mr. Rustuki, Since they are both Edison reproducers, this leads us to an interesting question. Are they both Edisonics, or is one a standard Edison? Does one of the reproducers say "LONG" on it? Does your turntable have a switch that says Long/Short to the right of the turntable? I'm showing you a pic of what an Edisonic reproducer looks like. A standard reproducer just has a skinnier weight. If you have a Long reproducer it is for playing the rare Edison Long Play records.
...to which I would add a word of caution again: the Edison Long Play records must be played *only* with the "long" reproducer. The labels are distinctive; 10" records will have the "24 minute" inscription, 12" the "40 minute" one. The 12" long play discs, by the way, are the only 12" diamond discs Edison released commercially.
Attachments
Edison long play 1.jpg
Edison long play 1.jpg (163.73 KiB) Viewed 1223 times
Edison long play 2.jpg
Edison long play 2.jpg (52.09 KiB) Viewed 1223 times

marcapra
Victor V

Post by marcapra »

"Thanks DRH, you are correct. Everyone asks why did Edison make 12" turntables if he only made 10" discs. Well, in the back of their minds, they always thought that a 12" record was coming, and it did with the Long Play discs, rare as they are. Edison also released 12" shellac needle-cut records in 1929, and also furnished an Edison 78 rpm adapter to put on diamond disc machines so they could play the new needle-cut records. Another caution, if by chance you do have a LONG reproducer and a long play speed on the turntable, but sure to place the speed switch to Long if you are playing an Edison Long Play record. And don't forget to switch it back to Short when you finish playing Long Play records. Your machine probably doesn't have the Long Play mechanism because it would have been a dealer add on, as Edison sold Long Play kits to bring their non Long Play phonographs up to date. My Beethoven came with the Long Play kit add on, as well as an NOS Long reproducer, and some mint Long Play discs. It remained as unsold stock until about 2014 when I bought it from a club member who had just bought it from the family of the original Edison dealer! Can you imagine a 1927 Edisonic Beethoven that never sold in the store and was not sold until 2014! That's 87 years until it sold! That's a long wait! Sometime old phonographs take a while before they sell.

Rustuki
Victor Jr

Post by Rustuki »

I will check that teproducer info, also. Thanks!

If I have time I will try to get a list of the records that are there as well.