Inventory of Beethoven and Schubert Edisonic phonographs

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
chewy
Victor O

Re: Inventory of Beethoven and Schubert Edisonic phonographs

Post by chewy »

fran604g wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 5:24 am
chewy wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 9:23 pm Model: Schubert Edisonic (inside cabinet says: The New Edison)
Serial number: 1009
Reproducer serial number: F 5159 9N S (dance repro w/ Edsonic hardware)
When purchased: Cinco de Mayo '21
From whom purchased: Private Sale/Seattle, WA (via San Mateo, CA)
Cabinet condition when purchased: Missing left cabinet knob, otherwise great
Welcome to our forum, chewy! It's good to have you. Spend some time looking around there's a wealth of information here.

Cheers,
Fran
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

chewy
Victor O

Post by chewy »

you can see in this pic (along with my homemade hinge jam thingy, fixing the tension spring is beyond me...)-- you can see mine says THE NEW EDISON, not The Edisonic

chewy
Victor O

Post by chewy »

What do the various Cabinet Factory numbers represent?

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

chewy wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 4:57 pm What do the various Cabinet Factory numbers represent?
The manufacturing facility that would have produced that specific cabinet. The Edison Company used several facilities, but there's no surviving information which facility may have correlated to each model or models.

I have a separate survey for this topic (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22393), in the hope one day the data can be used for determining which model's cabinet was produced in which facility - should all those facilities ever be revealed.

Cheers,
Fran
Last edited by fran604g on Fri May 21, 2021 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

chewy
Victor O

Post by chewy »

fran604g wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 5:09 pm
chewy wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 4:57 pm What do the various Cabinet Factory numbers represent?
The manufacturing facility that would have produced that specific cabinet. The Edison Company used several facilities, but there's no surviving information which facility may have correlated to each model or models.

I have a separate survey for this topic, in the hope one day the data can be used for determining which model's cabinet was produced in which facility - should all those facilities ever be revealed.

Cheers,
Fran

Thanks Fran-- so "new edison " was what they were going to call it before Edisonic? I think i saw one other mention in the thread about someone having seen one like that, it but thats it.

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

chewy wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 5:20 pm
fran604g wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 5:09 pm

I have a separate survey for this topic, in the hope one day the data can be used for determining which model's cabinet was produced in which facility - should all those facilities ever be revealed.

Cheers,
Fran

Thanks Fran-- so "new edison " was what they were going to call it before Edisonic? I think i saw one other mention in the thread about someone having seen one like that, it but thats it.
No, it was a marketing slogan.

Best,
Fran
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

chewy
Victor O

Post by chewy »

Please help me track down a reproducer if it’s stolen or lost it’ll be where it needs to be 730am tmw but im so nervous - without it my life has zero value- I will be up all night

chewy
Victor O

Post by chewy »

Worst case senario I can buy a non Edisonic greatly overpriced player locally to get the repro off off right?

coyote
Victor II

Post by coyote »

Chewy: You don't have to buy the whole machine for the reproducer. A number are available on eBay (Edisonic and non-). Buy a rebuilt one from a reputable seller and make sure the needle is in good condition.

As for the lid lift spring, there are photos from a 1-C here in this thread. I have also sent the photos via PM. Hope this helps in fixing the lid lift spring assembly.

All the evidence does seem to point to the Schubert being the intended LP Consolette. Stretcher and leg design, lid banding, CLT name, and now one with "The New Edison" decal. I think a double spring with bracket can be easily swapped in or out, so I would not necessarily cite this as evidence against.

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

Coyote, this is the second one I've observed (#1020). I should probably closely examine the photos of all the registered Schuberts in this thread to see if I missed others. I hadn't been looking for this feature when I began my research.

I hope over time others may surface.

Best,
Fran