Inventory of Beethoven and Schubert Edisonic phonographs

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Re: Inventory of Beethoven and Schubert Edisonic phonographs

Post by drh »

Just in case this one has eluded attention, an eBay listing shows Schubert 1266 in Bremerton, Washington. It's missing its grille and has one of the screw-on-plate style standard reproducers (gold), not an Edisonic type.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/134194169321?h ... R463it_3YA

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

That's a nice looking Schubert. As best I can tell on my phone, anyway.

Thanks for sharing, I'll check/record this on my spreadsheet, too.
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

Beethoven no. 1059 has shown up on eBay. it's in Kaukana, Wisconsin. https://www.ebay.com/itm/404335795820?h ... R-bCxJSdYg

The machine is fitted with long play gearing and comes with a long play reproducer. Grille and grillecloth look good. I was actually tempted to explore consolidating my three Edison disc players into just that one until I read "Top surface has been refinished for durability. The rest of the original crazed varnish has been cleaned and preserved with a coat of clear finish." Admittedly, it looks fine in the pictures, but we all know that pictures usually look better than "in person." Other issues: I think the crank is from an earlier Edison machine--at least, it looks more like the one from my C-250 than the one on my Schubert. Somebody has punched a hole in the back. The door pulls are not original. I've never seen a Beethoven in the flesh; did they have "through the top" record storage like that of the Schubert? If so, it's been boarded over in this machine. The seller advises, "Top left section could be useful as a small bar area." :roll:

Some of that is being a bit nitpicky, but at the price being asked...
Attachments
Beethoven 6.jpg
Beethoven 5.jpg
Beethoven 4.jpg
Beethoven 3.jpg
Beethoven 2.jpg
Beethoven.jpg

EarlH
Victor III

Post by EarlH »

It's been somewhere damp for a long time as the bun feet are missing a bunch of parts and the backs of the rear legs have had some stuff drop off as well.