Inventory of Beethoven and Schubert Edisonic phonographs

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
SSBN 657
Victor O

Re: Inventory of Beethoven and Schubert Edisonic phonographs

Post by SSBN 657 »

Mark

I've got two Schubert Edisonic's to add to the list.
#1 s/n 1511
#2 s/n 1856
Both in nice condition. One in family room and one parked in garage.
Attachments
IMG_1841.JPG
IMG_1835.JPG
IMG_1837.JPG
IMG_1839.JPG
IMG_1831.JPG
IMG_1834.JPG

pughphonos
Victor III
Personal Text: Ms. Pugh

Post by pughphonos »

Tim,

Two very nicely preserved Schuberts indeed. Thank you for adding their serial numbers and photos to the thread.

Mindy
"You must serve music, because music is so enormous and can envelop you into such a state of perpetual anxiety and torture--but it is our first and main duty"
-- Maria Callas, 1968 interview.

chewy
Victor O

Post by chewy »

SCHUBERT/EDISON MUSEUM, NEW JERSEY: Serial no. 2767, no known provance

chewy
Victor O

Post by chewy »

all these serials with location data up until 1556 are from the west coast............. hmmmm.......could the first Schuberts have shipped out here first?

chewy
Victor O

Post by chewy »

and the last ones are all overseas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pughphonos
Victor III
Personal Text: Ms. Pugh

Post by pughphonos »

Hi Chewy,

Very observant/attentive to the details from this thread (re. earliest Schuberts apparently domiciled on the west coast, with the final ones overseas). Fran's threads and mine are complimentary: he's documenting the evolution of the models (resulting in path-breaking discoveries on the relation between the Long Play models and the Edisonics) while mine centers on individual machines and captures images, sales histories, and other anecdotes. We didn't plan it that way, but that's how it's worked out. Collectively we're probably boring the non-Edison people on the forum.

I've been meaning to ask you: do you have a photo to post of the Schubert you found in the Edison museum in New Jersey? Over the years I've tried to get Edisonic serial numbers from various museums, but they never reply to me.
"You must serve music, because music is so enormous and can envelop you into such a state of perpetual anxiety and torture--but it is our first and main duty"
-- Maria Callas, 1968 interview.

chewy
Victor O

Post by chewy »

nope - he sent me a brief message and didnt reply to the second more crazy longer message- but did provide the number...
pughphonos wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:53 pm Hi Chewy,

Very observant/attentive to the details from this thread (re. earliest Schuberts apparently domiciled on the west coast, with the final ones overseas). Fran's threads and mine are complimentary: he's documenting the evolution of the models (resulting in path-breaking discoveries on the relation between the Long Play models and the Edisonics) while mine centers on individual machines and captures images, sales histories, and other anecdotes. We didn't plan it that way, but that's how it's worked out. Collectively we're probably boring the non-Edison people on the forum.

I've been meaning to ask you: do you have a photo to post of the Schubert you found in the Edison museum in New Jersey? Over the years I've tried to get Edisonic serial numbers from various museums, but they never reply to me.

Dr_Buzzsaw
Victor Jr

Post by Dr_Buzzsaw »

If late is still better than never, my Schubert is No. 3741 (and cabinet factory No. 18).

I got it in Yakima (WA), in May 2021. It'd been on Craigslist for a while, but it doesn't look like it got recorded in this thread? It's complete and working, and came with a manual, lubrication kit, and some marketing stuff. It looks a bit better in reality than in the picture, but it was dirty (and stinky) from decades of tobacco smoke.
Attachments
ED-Schbt cab open 12X16.jpg
ED-Schbt name plate 16X12.jpg
ED-Schbt accs 12X16.jpg

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Congratulations on acquiring what appears to be a very fine Schubert! It's really nice that period ephemera is present. That's a pretty special inclusion, not often found with any machine.

Could you photograph the cabinet from the front with the doors closed, please? The finish on these late-period cabinets don't seem to age well, and I'd love to see the finish on the doors - if that's okay.

Do you know if this came from the original purchaser's family? It would be great if you could put together a bit of provenance to keep with the machine.

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

Dr_Buzzsaw
Victor Jr

Post by Dr_Buzzsaw »

Thanks! It still needs some work, but it's in pretty good shape and I do like it. And also yes, always a (very) nice bonus when the machine still has its original paper and/or accessories.

I had to take the picture at an angle to minimize glare and shadows so I hope that's okay. The front of the machine is pretty alligatored and there's a big gouge in the middle of the right door, obscured by brown stain (not my doing). It's hard to see in the picture but the right door knob is slightly higher than the left one, and pictures in this thread indicate it's not the only one like that. Another example of cabinet quality problems with later Edison machines, I suppose.

Unfortunately I don't know the complete provenance, and it's not the happiest of stories. The person I bought it from was apparently selling it on behalf of his friend, who'd recently been hospitalized and was having to go into assisted living soon, so needed to start downsizing. He liked to collect antiques and old stuff in general, and though he'd had it for a long time, it wasn't something from his family.
Attachments
ED-Schbt cab closed 12X16.jpg