Your favorite machine from your entire collection?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
NateO
Victor I

Re: Your favorite machine from your entire collection?

Post by NateO »

It is hard to pick a favorite, even with only three machines. I think my favorite would be my VV-105. I love the design of this model, and it is the best sounding machine in my collection.
I also enjoy having some of the original paperwork from the machine, especially the manual. It also included a record brush, from "The Talking Machine Co." of Rochester, NY. It is nice to have an idea where the machine actually was sold.
Attachments
VV105.jpg
Last edited by NateO on Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Nathan

dutchman
Victor IV

Post by dutchman »

Cody K wrote:Dutchman, if I remember correctly, don't you also own the most remarkable Actuelle ever? It would be hard to knock that beauty off the top of my list if it were mine!

Yes it is quite a piece - now you have me all confused Cody K
    Attachments
    001.JPG

Nat
    Victor III

Post by Nat »

FloridaClay wrote:Nat, I see you also have a handsome furry accessory on your chair near the Credenza. :)

Clay
    Glad someone noticed! The cat, sadly, is no longer with us and much missed, but the Credenza continues to amaze and delight (as did the cat!).

Steve
    Victor VI
    Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

It's interesting to see a few Stateside collectors selecting floor-standing models as favourites. In the UK very few collectors bother with anything that can't be put on a small shelf hidden from view! It's got so bad that even Howard Hope now advertises the fact that he does not want to hear from anyone offering floor-standers apart from HMV's (hoping they're 202/3's, no doubt) or notable novelties.

Kirtley, you asked about Diamond Disc machines the other day; I'm aware of a collector over here who has just scrapped a perfectly good ebonised DD machine with attractive carved cabinet and grille. I heard too late to prevent the carnage and to hopefully match the two of you up. Oh well!

It does demonstrate the point though. DD's are virtually frowned upon now over here. Anyway, if you are interested in the motor, arm, soundbox, turntable etc, let me know. These items haven't got to landfill just yet!

Valecnik
    Victor VI
    Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Very interesting to see that "favorite" for many of us does not necessarily correlate with "most valuable" that we own. This is also the case for me.

This A250 in our living room is enjoyed fairly regularly. Although choosing a favorite is almost impossible, this would have to be it. The Triumph in the background of the picture is a close second.
    IMG_8203.JPG
    [youtubehd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TqgyxUPIiw[/youtubehd]

De Soto Frank
    Victor V

Post by De Soto Frank »

It would be very difficult for me to choose just one; I have acquired most of them for different reasons / features...

One machine which would probably be the last to leave my possession would be my great-grandmother's Orthophonic VE 8-12X, which was refitted either by the factory ( or more likely) a dealer, with a four-spring motor. It is in very fine original condition.

Other favorites:

Victrola XI in golden oak

Victrola XVI in red mahogany,1909 C stamped over B, with original box-albums & records (!) and receipt from John Wanamaker in Philly (another favorite / last to go)

Edison Diamond Disc C-250 in golden oak

Columbia "Jewel" in Oak (their "$50 table-top" machine)

Brunswick upright in golden oak

Edison Standard "Banner" B

Edison Home "signature" B with 2/4 minute gears

Victrola VV 2-55 portable

Silvertone upright in golden oak

etc.

(This is more than half my collection ! )

Each machine was selected for some combination of features and aesthetics... I do not feel compelled to collect every model & variation by each maker... although that could change...

I'll try to find some pictures to go with the list...

De Soto Frank
    De Soto Frank

Valecnik
    Victor VI
    Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

De Soto Frank wrote:It would be very difficult for me to choose just one; I have acquired most of them for different reasons / features...

One machine which would probably be the last to leave my possession would be my great-grandmother's Orthophonic VE 8-12X, which was refitted either by the factory ( or more likely) a dealer, with a four-spring motor. It is in very fine original condition.

Other favorites:

Victrola XI in golden oak

Victrola XVI in red mahogany,1909 C stamped over B, with original box-albums & records (!) and receipt from John Wanamaker in Philly (another favorite / last to go)

Edison Diamond Disc C-250 in golden oak

Columbia "Jewel" in Oak (their "$50 table-top" machine)

Brunswick upright in golden oak

Edison Standard "Banner" B

Edison Home "signature" B with 2/4 minute gears

Victrola VV 2-55 portable

Silvertone upright in golden oak

etc.

(This is more than half my collection ! )

Each machine was selected for some combination of features and aesthetics... I do not feel compelled to collect every model & variation by each maker... although that could change...

I'll try to find some pictures to go with the list...

De Soto Frank
    Frank, you list some very nice stuff however if I were you, for obvious reasons it would likely be the great-grandmother's machine that would be the last to leave too. The story behind the machine, especially a family story is a prime consideration.

howardpgh
    Victor II

Post by howardpgh »

The Victor IV is my favorite one.
    Attachments
    Victor IV.jpg

De Soto Frank
    Victor V

Post by De Soto Frank »

I will definitely say that if I had an outside-horn Victor, it would definitely be a "favorite" machine ! ;)
    De Soto Frank

rgordon939
    Victor V

Post by rgordon939 »

My favorite machine for playing cylinders is my Edison Triumph Model B 2/4 minute phonograph with a cygnet horn and Indestructible Model N reproducer. The reproducer has a spring loaded stylus bar, and when playing Indestructible cylinders there is nothing like it.

Rich Gordon
    Attachments
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg (35.35 KiB) Viewed 1515 times