Your favorite machine from your entire collection?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: Your favorite machine from your entire collection?

Post by Jerry B. »

We've had so much fun with this thread. We should start another about our least favorite machine. It would have to be one that you, for whatever reason, could not sell, give away or trade. Jerry

pughphonos
Victor III
Personal Text: Ms. Pugh

Post by pughphonos »

Go for it, Jerry!!! Sounds very therapeutic.
"You must serve music, because music is so enormous and can envelop you into such a state of perpetual anxiety and torture--but it is our first and main duty"
-- Maria Callas, 1968 interview.

Wagnerian
Victor II

Post by Wagnerian »

I was going to post two machines, as I find it difficult to select just one favourite - not that I have that many machines but I do tend to love 'em all - but, as it has been pointed out, the title of the thread is "Your favourite machine..." so here goes...

My Edison Opera - not in museum condition, it has obviously had a hard life, but it plays beautifully and on live operatic cylinders demonstrates to the full Edison's unique ability to record the human voice.
My Favourite Phonographs 001.jpg
All the best

Tim W-W

pianolist
Victor I

Post by pianolist »

I have always been more of the record/music collector than a machine collector but I look for the machine that I think plays best.

That being said, the flat record machine that I will never part with is my parents Brunswick Seville. Dad bought mom the Seville as a wedding gift when they were married back in '29. It still plays amazingly well. When I play horn or string centered music I prefer it over my Orthophonic Credenza.

Just to mention a second machine I don't plan to part with; to play my cylinder records I would not sell my Edison Standard D with the cygnet horn. It plays everything and very well. I enjoy listening to it also.

Thanks!

Ron in Tacoma

VintageTechnologies
Victor IV

Post by VintageTechnologies »

It is hard to have only one favorite, but my favorite of favorites is my Edison Opera. It was my ambition for 20 years to acquire such a phonograph. Playing like-new records on that machine is a revelation. I really like any outside horn machine, but cygnet horns in particular.

A couple of my French Pathephones are also prominently displayed in my living room.
Attachments
Pathéphone No.36 and Edison Opera
Pathéphone No.36 and Edison Opera

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Post by edisonplayer »

edisonplayer wrote:I love the machines that I got from the late Jerry Donnell,the C-250 Diamond Disc that was bought by Minerva Witz in 1919.It came from E.F Droop and Sons in Washington,DC.Inside the horn compartment there's a paper tacked inside with the history.I have a picture of Minnie.I also love the Credenza,the P-1 Edison portable,the Triumph E,and the little Yale Bluebird.Jerry gave that one to my mom,and I inherited it after she passed away in 2011.edisonplayer

Johnny Smoke
Victor O

Post by Johnny Smoke »

Curt A wrote:My favorite, not because of its relative scarcity, but because of the way I found it and the fact that it was a basket case in a box that took months to restore, is my Fairy Phonograph Lamp. I never thought I would find one and this came to me from a collector that had given up on it... It plays needle cut records, vertical cut records and Diamond Discs all without winding... plus it provides light as a bonus.
I absolutely LOVE it! What a wonderful restore job! Regards, Johnny

beaumonde
Victor III

Post by beaumonde »

Kind of late to the game, but my favorite is the Victor VI with 24B horn...Dave Heitz had previously owned this machine, and I acquired it 10 years ago next month. For most of that time I've used on it a gold plated HMV No. 4 soundbox, and it really does sound amazing.
Attachments
Victor VI with Herzog cabinet a.JPG
Adam

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

Here's your Victor VI as it was displayed in Dave Heitz's collection. Your presentation shows it to much better advantage.

I now own the Victor B with fleur de lys seen on the top shelf.
Attachments
DSCN2627.JPG