Your favorite machine from your entire collection?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Re: Your favorite machine from your entire collection?

Post by HisMastersVoice »

It's a hard choice, but I guess if I had to pick one, it would be my Victor III:

It's a good think I don't have to pick just one though :D

Hailey
Victor III

Post by Hailey »

Albeit a great topic of conversation, this is the virtual 10 million dollar question for me! I have never been the type of collector that kept track of the "number" of how many things that I have or concerned myself with the competition. It is the story behind the piece that really "makes" the piece come alive for me. And, to top it off, if the piece just so happens to be of considerable historical phonographic significance...well, then this just becomes the icing on the cake!!
So, begins my story of this item that I have chosen to share with you. Several years ago, I received a phone call from an elderly lady 600 miles away. She said that she had an Edison Doll that had been acquired from descendants of the original owner. The doll was reportedly complete, in original dress, and in near mint condition. She warned me that she had no intention of selling the doll, but she just had some questions about it and the history of Edison Dolls. Actually, during our 20 minute conversation, she repeatedly told me that she had no intent to sell the doll...even though I had not even hinted upon the notion of her selling it. I answered all her questions to her satisfaction, and she thanked me kindly for my help. I sent her a "Thank You" card the following week, expressing my gratitude for her sharing her story of her doll with me. I did not hear from her again...until 8 years later. It was a Thursday evening about 8pm, and my phone rang. It was the lady with the Edison Doll. She told me that she had a great grand-daughter who was starting college, and that she wanted to help her out. As a result, she was ready to sell the doll. We did not discuss a price...I simply told her that I would be at her house the following afternoon. The doll pictured is the doll that I acquired that day from that elderly lady. In every way, the doll is perfect. Not only did I acquire the doll, but the provenance behind the doll came with it. The little girl who was so fortunate to be the owner of the doll in 1890 was Ethel Celle Morris, daughter of Prof. George Morris at Univ. of Michigan. I also have an original photograph of Ethel holding the doll as she sits in a horse drawn surrey in front of their home.
Sadly, the story does not end there. I kept in touch with the lady who sold the doll to me. A few months later, the great grand-daughter was killed by a drunk driver as she was driving home from a school related function. Two months later, the lady whom I bought the doll from passed away. I was so influenced by the entire turn of events, all born out of the love of this hobby that we all share, that I started a small memorial scholarship fund at the small school where this young girl attended when she so prematurely lost her life. I have vowed to contribute to this fund until I join her in eternity.
So...there you have it...just one story behind just one item. And yes, there are many more. But, for now, this will have to do. Please enjoy the photo. And, as you look at her, picture where she has been and the influence she has had on the lives that she has touched. And, lastly, thanks to you all for making this Forum a family where fools like me can come to share.
Attachments
IMAG0524.jpg

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

Hailey, what a wonderful and touching story. And with this history, what a marvelous thing to have to care for a pass on some day.

As for the question on the floor, that is a tough one. Like picking a favorite child in a way. Each machine has its own story and character. I would hate to give up any of them!

I guess if I had to pick one right now, it would probably be my Victor Credenza. I grow more fond of its appearance as time goes on and I find it is the one I turn to most often when I am in the mood for playing my 78s.

That may be about to change though, as I have wanted an Edison Triumph for so long and so much blood, sweat, and tears have gone into the ongoing restoration of one recently acquired, as you may know from other threads.

But maybe the better question might be what are your favorite cylinder and disc machines in your collection? In that case, both would likely win.

Clay
Attachments
005.JPG
Last edited by FloridaClay on Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

Zwebie
Victor IV
Personal Text: We are only the caretakers for future generations.

Post by Zwebie »

The machine I'll take to the phono nerd old folks home is my dark oak Amberola 1-A.
I’m with Jerry,
My #1 favourite would have to be the Clarence Ferguson Amberola 1-A I purchased from the Donley’s Museum a few years back.

Bob S.

(Although my Zon-O-Phone Model A and my ERJ Victor Model B would tie for a close second, just cause’ they’re so dam pretty to look at!)
Attachments
1A.JPG
ZA.JPG
ERJB.JPG

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Hailey wrote:Albeit a great topic of conversation, this is the virtual 10 million dollar question for me! I have never been the type of collector that kept track of the "number" of how many things that I have or concerned myself with the competition. It is the story behind the piece that really "makes" the piece come alive for me. And, to top it off, if the piece just so happens to be of considerable historical phonographic significance...well, then this just becomes the icing on the cake!!
So, begins my story of this item that I have chosen to share with you. Several years ago, I received a phone call from an elderly lady 600 miles away. She said that she had an Edison Doll that had been acquired from descendants of the original owner. The doll was reportedly complete, in original dress, and in near mint condition. She warned me that she had no intention of selling the doll, but she just had some questions about it and the history of Edison Dolls. Actually, during our 20 minute conversation, she repeatedly told me that she had no intent to sell the doll...even though I had not even hinted upon the notion of her selling it. I answered all her questions to her satisfaction, and she thanked me kindly for my help. I sent her a "Thank You" card the following week, expressing my gratitude for her sharing her story of her doll with me. I did not hear from her again...until 8 years later. It was a Thursday evening about 8pm, and my phone rang. It was the lady with the Edison Doll. She told me that she had a great grand-daughter who was starting college, and that she wanted to help her out. As a result, she was ready to sell the doll. We did not discuss a price...I simply told her that I would be at her house the following afternoon. The doll pictured is the doll that I acquired that day from that elderly lady. In every way, the doll is perfect. Not only did I acquire the doll, but the provenance behind the doll came with it. The little girl who was so fortunate to be the owner of the doll in 1890 was Ethel Celle Morris, daughter of Prof. George Morris at Univ. of Michigan. I also have an original photograph of Ethel holding the doll as she sits in a horse drawn surrey in front of their home.
Sadly, the story does not end there. I kept in touch with the lady who sold the doll to me. A few months later, the great grand-daughter was killed by a drunk driver as she was driving home from a school related function. Two months later, the lady whom I bought the doll from passed away. I was so influenced by the entire turn of events, all born out of the love of this hobby that we all share, that I started a small memorial scholarship fund at the small school where this young girl attended when she so prematurely lost her life. I have vowed to contribute to this fund until I join her in eternity.
So...there you have it...just one story behind just one item. And yes, there are many more. But, for now, this will have to do. Please enjoy the photo. And, as you look at her, picture where she has been and the influence she has had on the lives that she has touched. And, lastly, thanks to you all for making this Forum a family where fools like me can come to share.
Hailey, that story is hard to read. You are Blessed in more ways than this doll.

Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

To us, the story attached to the doll is what collecting is about. Our Berliner hand-wind came with all it's provenance as well. Complete with photo's of the lady that bought it new (1895) along with the family's history....children they had....children they lost "mountain fever"....etc......
It also happens to be a "favorite" in our collection.

However, to us, all our machines are "favorites" as they all have a different meaning and story. Sometimes just the way "we" find them makes them a "favorite". The K&R Berliner doll comes to mind.
1890's K&R Berliner Gramophone Talking Doll (14).JPG
To a disc machine collector........this "pair" is a pinnacle in ones collection.......I think...... ;).
His Master's Voice #3.JPG

Nat
Victor III

Post by Nat »

One's not enough! -- I tend to think of my machines more as musical instruments and a collection of machines, so my choice is dictated by use: my Victor IV (wooden horn) for acoustics, my Credenza for electrics, and my 2-65 for the lawn.
Attachments
DSCN0448.JPG
DSCN0248.JPG
wooden horn.jpg

dutchman
Victor IV

Post by dutchman »

I think I would go with my Aretino only because they would be given away in order to
sell their records. My Brooks repeater would be a close second..
    Attachments
    003.JPG
    003.JPG (84.26 KiB) Viewed 1485 times

FloridaClay
    Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

Nat, I see you also have a handsome furry accessory on your chair near the Credenza. :)

Clay
    Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
    1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
    2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

Cody K
    Victor III

Post by Cody K »

Dutchman, if I remember correctly, don't you also own the most remarkable Actuelle ever? It would be hard to knock that beauty off the top of my list if it were mine!

To answer the thread's question, I think the one I put the most effort into will always be my favorite:
    Attachments
    before.jpg
    before.jpg (64.73 KiB) Viewed 1476 times
    after.jpg
    after.jpg (73.16 KiB) Viewed 1476 times
    "Gosh darn a Billiken anyhow."- Uncle Josh Weathersby