Edison Long Play Conversion Kit and Reproducer

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
apruizii
Victor II

Edison Long Play Conversion Kit and Reproducer

Post by apruizii »

I have an Edison 24 minute long play record that came with an H-19 Edison phonograph that I bought a couple of years ago. I understand that you need a special Long Play (LP) reproducer and LP conversion kit to play these type of records. Does anyone know how much such an LP reproducer and conversion kit would cost and have photos?

Thanks,

AR

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Re: Edison Long Play Conversion Kit and Reproducer

Post by Roaring20s »

apruizii
Victor II

Post by apruizii »

Roaring20s,

WOW...nice pics!! Thanks for the information. I wonder how much something like this would cost, if anyone out there is selling one...

AR

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

It's hard to give you set price as the item you want is as rare as "hen's teeth". I have an unsold dealer stock 1927 Edisonic Beethoven that had a long play kit installed, so when I got the phonograph, I got some unplayed LP Edison records as well as a new in the box LP reproducer! But to find a kit today is virtually impossible. Most people have to buy a Long Play console and rip out the mechanism to do what you want to do.

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

My pal Ralph Pugh is selling a bargain package, the full monty, so to speak: http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =9&t=28775. In my opinion, his asking price is a generous one, and as a package, you can't beat the price. I've seen the gearing set alone sell in excess of $300 on eBAY, and then a good reproducer easily for another $150-$200. The records generally sell for substantial $$$.

You won't find a complete, uninstalled factory Long Playing kit, like the one Allen showed us in his post (linked above), so you have a couple of other choices:

1) Buy the gearing and reproducer separately outright, if/when you find them being sold, and install them on your Chippendale.
2) Find a junk L-P Console, strip the L-P components from it, and install the components on your Chippendale.

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

apruizii
Victor II

Post by apruizii »

Fran and Marcapra,

Thanks for the information. I didn't realize the reproducer and conversion were so rare. I'll just keep my eye out for getting the parts separately. Will playing the 24 minute LP record I have on a regular modern record player damage the record?

AR

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

apruizii wrote:Fran and Marcapra,

Thanks for the information. I didn't realize the reproducer and conversion were so rare. I'll just keep my eye out for getting the parts separately. Will playing the 24 minute LP record I have on a regular modern record player damage the record?

AR
Assuming your modern cartridge has a good stylus, there should be no risk of damage. However, you will have to cross-wire the cartridge so that it will respond to the vertical grooves.

apruizii
Victor II

Post by apruizii »

Thanks for the tip.

AR

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

apruizii wrote:Fran and Marcapra,

Thanks for the information. I didn't realize the reproducer and conversion were so rare. I'll just keep my eye out for getting the parts separately.
AR
Keep in mind that the Edison Long Playing Phonograph models were only marketed for about a year (1926-27), and only about 41,000 units were produced in all (Frow). The L-P mechanism was never sold on any other models, and the L-P conversion kit likely wasn't produced in very large quantities.

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

apruizii
Victor II

Post by apruizii »

Fran,

Yeah, I'll keep that in mind. Hopefully, I'll find an old 1-C some day that I can bring back to life like you did. :D

Ralph's bargain package looks attractive but it's too much for what I want to spend. I've contacted him to see if he's willing to just sell the reproducer and conversion kit.

AR